Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign completely messes up the color of my images

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am a photograper from the Netherlands. I shoot photos for a local magazine (volunteers work). I shoot RAW and edit my photos in Lightroom. I  export them as High res jpg's 300dpi sRGB (AdobeRGB is possible as well). I use a calibrated pro Monitor and pro camera's.

One of the other volunteers makes the magazine using Indesgn. When the magazine was printerd, the colors of the photos were completely of. Much to yellow. I mean I am not talking a bout a slight difference in color here, They were way off. Looking at the PDF that was sent to the printer, I noticed the colors in the PDF were of as well.

I guess we are making a mistake somewehere.

Any idea's??

Thanks

Steven

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, if the designer created the document with CM turned Off (the CC2019 bug) it could get really bad—the source RGB profile would be stripped and the conversion would be to some unknown random CMYK space.

This is what would happen to an sRGB image and a Press Quality Export. The Simulation Profile in Acrobat is set to Euroscale:

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Frans+van+der+Geest+%28ACP%29  wrote

That is why I was thinking: if a CM setting was used like Europe Pre Press 3 (with Adobe RGB as RGB color space) and the image did NOT have a profile but was in sRGB, then it would be blown up to Adobe RGB and that would show oversaturation in the CMYK version as well...

You'll have the same problem either way with untagged images, in which case I'd say sRGB is the safer guess. The OP did say 'I export them as High res jpg's 300dpi sRGB (AdobeRGB is possible as well)', though. The tagged images will be fine, as Europe Prepress 3 preserves embedded profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make sure all of my images are in AdobeRGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the PDF that was sent to the printer, I noticed the colors in the PDF were of as well.

Can you share the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked the designer yesterday. She hasn't replied yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dug up as low res version of the PDF. Now idea how to share it. The colors look fine in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That probably isn’t useful unless you are sure the Output tab settings were the same for the final PDF—I assume the designer was generating the PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah she made the PDF for the printer. I did notice the whole magazine ghas a bit of a yellowish glow to it. The pages in the PDF are white. The printed pages look "of white"/very light beige

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print version of the PDF would tell us if the yellow cast was in the output values.

Did you get multiple copies of the magazine? The profile of an offset press can vary even within a print run. It is possible that they were running too much yellow for part of the run. Does the printer provide a contract proof before the printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven_nl  schreef

I dug up as low res version of the PDF. Now idea how to share it. The colors look fine in the PDF.

Yes, because that is is RGB version I bet ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have Indesgn. I can not check it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I saw that 2 copies of the magazine had slightly different colors. No contact proof as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven_nl  wrote

yeah I saw that 2 copies of the magazine had slightly different colors. No contact proof as far as I know.

My money's definitely on the cast being introduced on press. If they supply a contract proof that looks correct, they're much more obliged to match it on press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the designer was here yesterday. She inmported the profile which was provided by the printer and checked all settings in her Indesign.

The new magazine goes to the printer on wedenesday. Hope they can provide a contact proof.

I'll keep you postred. And thatks a lot for the valuebale input!! The internet is great thing 😉

Greets

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

She inmported the profile which was provided by the printer and checked all settings in her Indesign...

The new magazine goes to the printer on wedenesday.

Just in case it isn’t clear—for an existing document (the magazine’s new issue?) make sure the designer uses  Edit>Assign Profiles...  to assign the new printer profile. Changing the CMYK Working Space in Color Settings will affect new documents made with that setting, but wouldn’t necessarily fix a color management problem in an existing doc that was setup incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines