• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDESIGN CS3/WINDOW: How can I draw a half circle text box

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2008 Nov 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I volunteer for a nonprofit organization, where I produce their newsletter (previously in PUBLISHER software). They recently purchased the ADOBE INDESIGN CS3 for the newsletter. I have no experience with Adobe products,but have taken the tutorials (it is scary-powerful and I am amazed at its functionality compared to PUBLISHER).

I cannot seem to find the series of steps to create a half circle frame in which to put text. I have seen other newsletters that use the half circle with a colored background for a key question or comment and I think it is very effective. Could someone help me with this? thanks so much, Cathy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cathy,

In InDesign anything can be a text frame if you click in it with the text tool, so you can use drawn shapes as well as rectangular text frames drawn with the text tool.

One way to make a semi-circular frame would be to use the ellipse shape tool to draw a circle, then use the scissors tool to cut it at two points, and delete the half you don't want. ID will happily fill the path with color or text, or both, stopping along the line joining the two end-points. This won't work well, however, if you need a stroke around the frame because the path is open.

Are you familiar with using the pen tool to draw and modify bezier curves? You can use the pen tool to delete on of the nodes on a circle, but you will be left with rounded corners rather than sharp ones, and a curved side that you can modify using the direct select tool to collapse the direction control handles next to the side you want to be straight.

When using the pen tool it automatically becomes the delete point tool when you hover over an existing point, or the add point tool when you hover over a selected path anywhere else. Holding the Ctrl key with the pen tool active will temporarily change to the direct select tool.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thank you so much for your reply. I am not really familiar with the pen tool but your instructions seem to be very comprehensive. I did fool around with the scissors tool but only succeeded in making a mess of the existing ellipse I had drawn, rather than getting a half circle (mostly because I didn't understand how to work it properly).

So now I will print your instructions out and try to follow them carefully. thank you again, Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks again; I was able to draw the half circle with your able assistance. The elipse tool plus scissors tool got me what I wanted. Didnt have as much success with the pen tool but that's only because I didnt fuss too much with it. Thanks Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The pen tool is well worth mastering. The only thing you really need to know is the direction you drag the control handle sets the direction of the curve, and the distance you drag sets the slope. Hold the Alt key to get the convert point tool and you can make a corner by dragging only one side of the handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines