• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS4: Turn off Smart Guides (X&Y coordinates w/ mouse movement)

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this is kind of a new feature in CS4. I noticed it in Illustrator. I can see how it will benefit some users. However, it gets in the way sometimes. I figured out how to turn it off in Illustrator, but InDesign doesn't allow you to disable this.

Am I overlooking something? I've tried doing a google search, didn't come up with any solutions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences, smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It exists in Illustrator preferences, i don't see it in InDesign CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you looked very carefully, or bothered to check the Help > InDesign Help.

To permanently turn them off, choose InDesign > Preferences > Guides & Pasteboard > Smart Guide Options. Uncheck all the options.

To temporarily turn off Smart Guides, toggle View > Grids & Guides > Smart Guides. The keyboard shortcut is even the same as in Illustrator: Cmd-U.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve,

I try not to sense sarcasm in a thread, so I will ignore that particular tendency. Those particular smart guides are turned off, however. it's still showing up upon movement with mouse on objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because X&Y coordinates with movements is not part of Smart Guides.

I read your posting a little too fast. I saw "Smart Guides" but missed the last half of the subject line.

That feature is turned off in InDesign > Preferences > Interface > Show Transformation Values. It's called that because it also displays rotations as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Smart Guides Help topic is here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30d2a5051004d659b1c-7fefa.html#WSE70D39D0-AB3A-41ce-BA95-9D9285D63FB5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't see why anyone would want this turned off. This was one of the first things that caught my eye as a necessary feature in the new version. I wonder how I did without this in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, Buko. It's one of my favorite features in CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be having an issue turning my smart guides back on. Sometime last week they just "stopped" working.

I just upgraded to cs4 and have gotten used to them, now they don't work. I read through this post and checked my Interface and guides under preferences, but everything is turned on. I dunno what to do......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your ID preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the View menu to be sure they were enabled there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Now I feel more like a dunderhead. But really thank you, I tried

all the backend ways to turn them back on.

Happy Friday!

Did you check the View menu to be sure they were enabled there?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what they say, when all else fails, try the obvious.

You probably hit the shortcut without realizing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I probably did, I use a lot of shortcuts. Thanks Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines