• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS5 Crashes almost immediatly on 10.8.2

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure when it started as I only use ID every 4 months but it now just after starting it. Things that make it crash:

- Choosing open from the start screen

- Choose a template and then doing something like save or Cammand-D

I have tried resetting prefs, repair permissions, the fixing SING process (it came up repeatedly in searches for similar issues).

I am using InDesign 7.0.4.553 (7040) and Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Any help would be appreciated as I only have two weeks before I need to submit my folio for uni which I alway do in InDesign.

Crash report is here: http://pastebin.com/46isnjjk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 107 Replies 107
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did contact support. They wanted to charge before any discussion and hung up on me (seemingly by accident as the operator was mid sentence) and didn't call back despite taking my number. Since I have already spent $50 waiting on hold I don't intend to waste any more time or money with Adobe "support".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

manish,

Is there anything you can do internally to get this more attention? I'm pretty sure I saw at least two crash reoprts with the same or very similar patterns this week, but becasue of the Jive disaster it was impossible to know who actually posted them, so they might not be unique.

Just-up,

Did you,by chance  upgrade the OS and use th migration tool or simply leave the Adobe apps in place. Adobe apps don't respond well to that and generally need to be uninstalled and reinstaalled clean. (and I would run the cleaner tool first -- CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3). I'm disturbed, though that you had so much trouble the first time you installed the suite -- it's normally pretty straightfoward -- so I'm beginning to suspect you have some other issue specific to your system configuration that is interfering withthe install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was installed on Lion and of course I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion - the Adobe apps were left in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that certainly encourages the belief that you should try uninstalling

the whole creative suite and reinstalling.

Maybe even running the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool in the middle.

But it is...tough to know. So unfortunately you're going to have to experiment

to get it working.

Again, sorry we can't offer you anything better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

Well, that certainly encourages the belief that you should try uninstalling

the whole creative suite and reinstalling.

Maybe even running the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool in the middle.

But it is...tough to know. So unfortunately you're going to have to experiment

to get it working.

Again, sorry we can't offer you anything better...

Indeed, but if you review the original post there is a no-media and licensing obstacle to that option.

I'm afraid if you need to us ID it's going to cost you some money to buy your own license. You might want to look at Creative Cloud....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my own license and media?? Not sure where you had a different idea Peter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry. I seem to be conflating a coule of similar problems.

Uninstall, run the cleaner (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) and reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled, cleaned, reinstalled ... same behavior... crash on open, save, place etc.

I've found a couple of other examples of the same issue over on the Apple forums but without resolution. Maybe it is indeed common problem that's about to explode? By the way does ID have any need for Java because Apple of course recently change and depracated a lot of old Java and I have applied that update already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Well, something is wrong with your system, and we really have no clue what it is (as you have noticed).

Aside from installing the OS on another partition or disk, I have nearly no answers for you. Do you have any strange storage devices or network filesystems connected to your machine? Is it possible to disconnect them and try running InDesign? Looking at the crash report really doesn't give much guidance, but you have to ask yourself, "What might make the Open File Dialog crash?" That's a tough one.

Oh, here's one other thing to try. Try removing PMWelcomeScreen.InDesignPlugin from the InDesign plugins folder. A long shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried killing the network connections so anything remotely mounted is off. Killed finder add ins like box.net and dropbox sync. I haven't killed Sophos but it runs without on access scanning (don't need it for myself but for scanning client files) so it shouldn't be a problem. I would uninstall it but putting it back is a fiasco and it's been there a very long time already.

I have upgraded Parallels to V8 and of course there are some hooks in with with but no VMs are running when I try to get ID going and uninstalling is not an option as the only this I need more than IS, PS and AI is Revit which only runs in Windows. I can't hink of anything esle except I updated to 10.8.2 and then put on the Java update from Apple recently.

Oh, and the long shot missed the mark I'm sad to say but the issue is on anything that loads a finder dialogue ie save, place, open. If I could save somehow without open the save box I could actually work around the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I would make sure the finder add-ins are well and truly disabled.

I don't have your confidence that Sophos is not the probem, but I would be

very surprised if Parallels was related. Again, good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, when I used the cleaner it did not find any installations but I could click clean all or remove all or simialr. After I ran it the option could not be pressed again, even after reboot so i presumed that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tick Sophos off the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've stripped everything I can find out and still it crashes. Reloading Mountain Lion isn't really an option and I read an article yesterday with someone having the same issue and even a complete reload didn't fix it. So it must be something core to 10.8.2 and ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try removing PMWelcomeScreen?

We know from Dov Isaacs, who is authoritative, that ID does function under

10.8.2. It is more than just that.

Edit (27 Oct.): I am wrong, it was Manish-Sharma, who is not Dov Isaacs, but should still be correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, yeah I tried the PMWelcomeScreen removal. I also just tried reapplying the 10.8.2 combo update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh this just isnt fair ... a clean build of Mountain Lion, al patched up and nothing installed but Creative Suite all patched to latest ... and it crashes again! I guess this mean definitely something between Apple and ID ... nothing else is installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What hardware is this? Is it possible that 10.8.2 is behaving somewhat differently on some hardware than on others that is triggering this? I assume this is neither a Hackintosh nor a 13" Retina MBP...

(Corrected myself above, the statement about 10.8.2 support did come from Adobe, but not from Dov Isaacs. Not sure why I thought that.)

I suppose it was not practical to install either 10.7 or an earlier version of 10.8, or to try without updates.

I am really at a loss here, beyond contacting Adobe Support (http://adobe.com/go/supportportal).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genuine MBP late 2011. Yeah, it must be a driver issue of some kind - this specific configuration didn't last all that long early 2011 and 2012s were both different. I was thinking it was a driver related to my hybrid drive but the clean install cleared that up. I also run 16GB which is probably not the most common config. I have managed to install 10.8.2 and ID in a VM which will be annoying but at least it works until the trial runs out (too many activations error). Still I can't believe I get no help from Adobe on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ... I tried contcting Adobe support -  I can pay for support, otherwise they ignore me and all CS5 (not supported anymore)... and now I have this annoying thing where the cursor disappear in PS and it seems half the planet is complaining about that with no fix either. This is definitely the very last verion of Adobe software I buy. Open source alternatives are nearly as good and all this has made it worth my effort learning them!

Even these forums are dumb - they are the only forums my spell check doesnt work in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't see why it must be a driver issue.

16GB of RAM, huh? I was at first going to say that that was really unlikely to be related since InDesign 8 is still a 32-bit application, so it should be insensitve to the total RAM in your system above 4GB.

But the crash is actually in Apple's AppKit, and even though it's in the ID process, I could imagine it making a difference...

As for your activation, you should be able to deactivate InDesign on the main machine (by running the uninstaller), and then activate elsewhere. If not, Adobe instllation support (which is free!) should be able to help you out by resetting your count. But it is passing strange that you would exceed the 2-count limit with only one machine.

Huh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I able to just deactive ID though? I thought if I deactivate it would deactive the whole creative suite! There is no way I want to use PS and AI in a VM ... yuck although maybe that would escape the disappearing cursor issue. Anyway, thanks John for all your help and perseverence. My count limit is probably is probably due to my dead mini. I need to get around to fixing it - it probably would have been faster than all of this fuss. That's actually why I have a spare hard drive at the moment - just switching them is a big pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A colleague suggested it might be due to "that 10.8 iCloud garbage." You might try to make sure as much of that stuff is turned off as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i did new user test i didn't set up icould. Nor did i on the clean install... but between PS cursor disappearing and ID crashing it seems CS is not 10.8 friendly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, finally managed to get to somewhere I could download the CS6 trial. Much faster than learning Scribus before folio is due. I am happy to say it doesn't crash so at least I can get through my work and I'll start learning something new after the 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines