• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Data Merge using different layouts in one document

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been tasked with automating our catalogs. I'm a creative designer for a book puyblishing company and I love what I can do with data merge except that I need to be able to have differently designed pages in a single document. Some books are features and require a different design application - full page or half page options.  Some books can be in lists which data merge is happy to do. Some pages have four books on them and some have 18. I've been researching this on and off for a couple of weeks and it seems like all I can do is a single design (image/text) on single pages (not facing). I know I can add design elements to the Parent page but it appears I cannot create more than one Parent page design for data to flow into. All suggestions are most welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain this sentence "Some pages have four books on them and some have 18"??

Maybe some example screenshots?

Standard DataMerge won't help you much - is too limited - but with a right tool you can do a lot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's are two sample spreads. Thanks for your response! 

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 8.26.14 AM.png

 

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 8.26.31 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't be able to achieve it with the built-in DataMerge. 

Maybe with XML. 

Or a 3rd party tool that will do everything in one go. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Or you could do a separate DataMerge for each page - and then either use Book feature or place those INDD files like images on pages in the "master" file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Robert, that's the response I've found in my searches but I just wanted to make sure. I'll take both of your suggestion into consideration. It appears that EasyCatalog may be the way to go. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hilary34142706sebs ,

why do you think, that you cannot work with a facing pages one spread template for data merge?

Did you test something?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender, here's what I get when I try to use facing pages. Please straighten me out if I've missed an obvious option. In this data merge I wasn't given the option to put multiple records on a single page so that would be problematic for what I'm going for. Thanks for your response 🙂

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 8.38.48 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hilary34142706sebs ,

I see. But my suggestion was to start with one single spread that contains facing pages.

Simply set the start page number to 2 and the number of pages also to 2 when you do a new document template for data merge with facing pages. From my German InDesign where I use the legacy new document setup dialog:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-05 um 18.43.57.png

The result is this:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-05 um 18.45.23.png

Build your template from that. Two different layouts. One on the page left from the spine, one layout on the page right from the spine. Stay with 2 pages in the template document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for explaining how to work with facing pages in data merge and showing screenshots! I'll give it a whirl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this article help?

https://colecandoo.com/2018/04/05/data-merging-to-specific-pages/

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Colin! I visited your blog during my research - great info. I will try this solution out today or tomorrow and see what I can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines