Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign: export a document with bleeding but whithout bleed marks

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm working on a book with a bunch of images and backgrounds, so the printers asked me to leave 3mm. for the bleeding cut. I configure a 3mm. bleed at Document properties and then I see what I want to get. The problem is that when I export the document to PDF it overlaps some images, which I've seen in other threads to be absolutely normal. But my printers may be not so good at their job, as they keep asking me for a document that shows as it does at InDesign. But if I export the document with no bleed it won't export the area out of the margin that Adobe creates for the bleed. So my question is: is there any way to export the document just adding those 3mm. without overlapping images?

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the inside bleed to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, but the book is wired, so I also need the inner bleeds. Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

archimboldi  wrote

Good point, but the book is wired, so I also need the inner bleeds. Thanks anyway!

Hi archimboldi ,

hm. So you need "true" and "unique" bleed in the spine?

One option with that: Go with a non-facing pages document.

In case you already have a facing pages document with a spine you could split a spread of two pages facing each other to two spreads with one page each. One page left from the spine, one page right from the spine like that:

Before: Facing pages with two pages per spread.

FacingPages-TwoPagesPerSpread.PNG

After: Facing pages with one page per spread.

FacingPages-OnePagePerSpread.PNG

Where to do this?

In the Pages Panel. Not in the layout.

How to do this?

In the Pages Panel menu you can specify not to shuffle pages and tear a single page in the panel away to its own spread.

I did that with every page right from the spine. Just grabbed a page right from the spine and moved it in right direction until a horizontal line was indictaing a new spine and then dropped it.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was just necesary to remove the inner bleed, at the document properties and also at the exportation. That solves the issue. Thanks to all who answered.

If the binding will be wire-o you need an the inside bleed and it can’t come from the opposite page on the spread—the inside edge is going to be trimmed and not folded.

If your spreads have crossover images, splitting the pages will cause problems.

You can also set the document up as non facing pages and creat 2-page masters. With non-facing pages you can separate pages in a spread via the Pages tool as explained here:

Re: Inside Bleeds

As Uwe notes in the thread Align to Spine paragraph alignment doesn't work properly with this technique, but it has the advantage of displaying the pages as spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define correct bleeds in Document Setup. In PDF Export dialog, Marks and Bleeds tab:

1. Uncheck All Printer's Marks in Marks section

2. Tick ON Use Document Bleed Settings in a Bleed and Slug section.

3. Export your PDF, send to your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, but if I do that I lose the extra 3mm, at least that's what happens in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just clarifying: in fact, it adds the 3 mm., but blank, so they're useless as bleeding margins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your document was setup with an inside bleed, you might have to uncheck Use Document Bleed Settings and manually enter the bleeds leaving the inside as 0:

Screen Shot 33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I've found the answer, so I'd want to share it for others in the same situation. It was just necesary to remove the inner bleed, at the document properties and also at the exportation. That solves the issue. Thanks to all who answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got that as the answer several times and dismissed it. You can still use inner bleed but you need to separate the spreads.

2019-07-26_7-46-18.png

There's a script that will do that but I don't have a link handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines