• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file exported as PDF

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this error message when I tried to open a file that I exported from InDesign to be a PDF: 

Cannot extract the embedded font 'OUTDWU+FranklinGothic-Book'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

I don't know what to do. I have about 5 other files that are almost identical and had no problems. Appreciate your assistance. I need to get to my client for review and off to print.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the font is included in a linked file.

What file type did you place into InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen similar messages after optimizing PDFs in Acrobat, although I don't know the specific cause.

Try exporting as PDF/X-4, if that doesn't work, try PDF/X-4 and include the setting: Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than (0%)- under Advanced> Fonts. This should embed all used fonts (not just a subset, which is usually sufficient) so it might make a larger PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback. When I went in to make the changes the error message is no longer however the PDF now has dots where the text should be. No issue with images at all. I have very similar documents that I have exported and no problems. On the one piece I am trying to export, it worked fine a week ago. I went in to make some last minute changes prior to sending to the client and that is when this issue started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try exporting as a new IDML file, then re-open it in InDesign.

What happens if you select the type (that changed to dots after exporting) and converting it to outlines before exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the IDML suggestion. No luck.  I will try the converting to outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck converting text to outline. argh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the font? Can you set it from scratch?

Can you copy type from one of the other files and paste?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give that a whirl and see if that is causing the issue.

I am determined to get this figured out.... even if that means recreating the dang brochure and handout sheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts chould never, NEVER, be converted to outlines! Only for graphic purposes, never for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changes have you done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I corrected some copy. That was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darcys, I wonder if you can say if you are on macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Beta 2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue that Darcy is and I am indeed on a Catalina beta -- 10.15.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well then, there's your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines