• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign/Finder undo

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before someone jumps all over me for this I'll say that I know this is user error to a certain extent but it's still a frustration and a serious worry.

When working in InDesign (Macintosh) and I want to insert a photo into an existing photo box:

I go to the Finder, select the image file and drag it into the photo box in InDesign.

Now when I do this the computer inserts the image into the photo box BUT the computer does NOT actually switch over to InDesign. The Finder is still the active application. So, if I have dropped the image into the wrong box, and I UNDO - instead of InDesign undoing the photo placement - the finder undoes it's last operation - which could be anything!! Including deleting a file, copying a file etc. It might be something I did an hour ago!!

So I redo in the Finder if I realize this has happened but if not I could be losing a file!

It would be nice if the Finder switched to InDesign and didn't do this in the background or if I could turn off Finder undo (even though it's very handy sometimes it's not worth the risk).

Comments?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same here on Windows, and I find it quite convenient when I need to drop several images in a sequence, in pre-made frames, without leaving file manager. But: if you drag an image to any empty area, you need to click to actually paste it, and focus goes to InDesign. Pretty logical to me. Behavior change would break more than fix, imho.

Your graphic frames must be damn small if you run into a problem here! Maybe zoom-in would help?

Edit:

if you dropped a wrong image, you can easily fix it dropping a 'right' one on top, and it will replace. No need to Undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

winterm - It generally happens to me when I have layered image boxes and possibly the layer I want locked - or maybe the layer I don't want active - or something like that. Anyway it appears like I'm going to hit the correct box but then hit a box behind it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I see your point regarding layers, but it must be unlocked first, in a separate action, whatever method of file placement you choose, and whatever focus behavior is. When I faced a similar problem years ago, I started to use a small script (with KB shortcut assigned) which toggles a locking status of Text and Images layers. Just to speed up things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also place multiple images without ever leaving InDesign using the loaded cursor method. Images can be either placed directly on the page or within existing frames by going to File>Place and finding the image folder you want (you can even scroll to the desktop and choose from there) and shift-clicking on all of the images you want to place and clicking on "Open". The cursor will then show a small icon with a number next to it (to denote the number of images chosen). You can then click on either existing frames or directly on the page to place the images. If you have predetermined fitting options for the existing frames (Object>Fitting>Frame Fitting Options) then your images will fit the frames as you've determined. All of this and the ability to Undo within InDesign as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Silbert - yeah that works too but it's just so much easier to go to the Finder and drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, use the fast switch technique: Command + Tab to get to the Finder, start to drag your file, while still holding the mouse button down hit Command + Tab again to jump back to InDesign (or Tab as needed if ID wasn't the last app you were in), now release the mouse. Works with single or multiple docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Similar technique in Windows: Ctrl+Tab to switch between application's tabs/windows, and Alt+Tab to switch between applications. However, that's just a matter of habits. If your opened apps aren't full screen, many people find it more intuitive just click on a window they want to be active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines