Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign fonts

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Just recently I received our new layout for our brochure from a designer. We requested that they used the font that we use (Mr Eaves) and so they did. However when I open the file there seems to be a weird looking version of the Mr Eaves in it. The text looks the same but I can't change it to bold/heavy/regular like normal. No problem if I can just change the font to the correct Mr Eaves where we have a subscription via Adobe Fonts. 

The strange thing that I don't understand is that when I change the font to the correct Mr Eaves, alle the text has an orange background as if it is not available. When I export it also states that fonts are missing. When I open a new document in Indesign I can use the font perfectly fine, it is only with the brochure that we received from the designer. 

I also tried to replace the font via the tool in InDesign but that has no effect and it keeps saying the font is missing.

Is there maybe a setting in the document I'm missing? I really don't know what it can be.

I have added some images to make things a little bit more clear hopefully. My Indesign is updated and is version 19.5.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the second screenshot is a different font used. The style name is indluded in the font name, what is wrong. If you need another style of that kind you have to use a different font, where that style is included. I doubt that this is a regular licensed font, looks like someone opened a font and changed something with a font editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More or less what Willi said. If you did not give them the fonts to work with, they may have gotten crummy/free versions somewhere. You may have to replace all the fonts in the layout, beginning with any 'parent' styles. And unless a face exists for a specific weight/style, you'll get that pink substitution highlight. You will have to change any such to a face that exists in the font set. (It's common, for example, to switch from one font that has a Semibold face to one that doesn't; ID will preserve the font assignment but show a pink highlight wherever the missing 'semibold' face is used.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the font in the second screenshot is the one that the designer has used which is probably not the official one.  But the strange thing is that it's not that font that gives an error, but the original adobe font is giving the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I see, in your screenshots is that the version of MrEaves that your designer used is not named identically to the one that you used. You used a font that has the family name "Mr Eaves Mod XL OT" in the Adobe dropdown, of the weight "Reg". Your designer used "MrEavesModXLOT-Reg" of font weight... ah... I don't even know what that glyph is. At any rate, the fact that your properly-named font is dropping when you presumably have it installed on your system implies to me that there is some kind of collision going on in font naming. I'd guess that whoever made your designer's knockoff font left the "Font Family Name" field blank. As a point of comparison, here's a well-named font:

fontname.png

At any rate: is there a "Document Fonts" folder in the same folder as your InDesign file? That'd be my guess: you most likely have Real Mr Eaves installed via Adobe Fonts, and your designer's file has DisreputableMrEavesFromTheInternet in a Document Fonts folder. If I'm right: close your INDD, rename the Document Fonts folder to something else so InDesign can't see those Disreputable fonts, then reopen the INDD. All of those Disreputable fonts will flag as missing, and you can use the Find Fonts dialog to replace them all with your Real Mr Eaves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @martijnh22315475 , Also, Adobe Type includes the entire Emigre library, so it is possible your designer might own an Emigre licence for a version that was installed in their OS, which conflicts with an Adobe Fonts version Activated from Adobe Type.

If you click the More Info button in Find/Replace Fonts, you can check the path of the font—AdobeType fonts are listed as Activated from Adobe Fonts, while installed fonts will have a path to one of your local font folders:

Screen Shot 27.pngScreen Shot 28.png

You might go to Adobe Type and activate the entire Mr Eaves family. Mr Eaves XL Mod has a larger x-height than Mr Eaves Mod:

Screen Shot 30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for your response. In the end I asked the designer to send me a new file and she saved it different and now I don't have the problem. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines