We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
My impression from what I've found inside the Adobe Community with regards to InDesign, is that InDesign naturally embeds the fonts when creating PDF files. For me, I am trying to EXPORT to PDF-X 1a print standard. It fails due to font issues. So, in my investigations, I found that each and every font that I try to change the "problem font" to, then becomes a problem. Now... I've done this several times before, with NO problem. This book that I'm delivering to the printer has only one font that is utilized from InDesign as the remaining elements of the book are all compiled in Illustrator. It is JUST the page numbers. So... I went about making the PDF an alternate way (that is not compliant with the PDF-X 1a standard), simply by saving to PDF. I tried to upload this to the printer and the printer came back an automated font issue, saying that they require embedded fonts. So... what do I do????? Help is needed right away.
To add... I know that InDesign naturally embedds the fonts AS LONG AS there are no restrictions on those fonts. Each time I change the font to a known font that is just fine... it is listed as "OK" instead of "No"
One more thing... as I'm trying to solve this! I attempted to "Create Outlines" to make the font an "vector image" - that didn't work - the metadata doesn't get dismissed. It is still considered a font without permissions... but right now NONE of my fonts (which I've been using since the beginning of time!) are embedding... all are "OK" not "NO."
It sounds like you may have some document corruption. You might try doing a save-as to a different location, close the file, reopen it and try exporting to PDF again. If that doesn't work, export to IDML, open the IDML and try to export to PDF. If that doesn't work try the "divide and conquer" method. Try splitting your book in half, and then try to export each half. If one half goes but the other doesn't, you know that the problem lies in the half that didn't work.
One question, though…why PDF/X-1a? That's an older standard that most people don't use these days (PDF/X-4 might be a better choice, unless your printer has really old equipment). Did your printer ask for this? If so, maybe it's part of their requirements that they forgot to update. It's worth a conversation if that's the case. And as to creating outlines—that's not the way to solve the problem. You will create more problems doing that than you will solve.
I will try that... thank YOU so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'll give you an update.
Nothing worked... I've downloaded ID onto an alt computer to see if I can follow the same guidance you gave to solve the issue. It is a 216 page book... exactly how to a divide the book? Do you mean by making a new document and importing all of the files to then see if that works? I suppose I can try that...
I was thinking you could do a save-as twice, then delete half of the pages at the front of the book on one copy, and deleting the end pages from the other. If you have stories that flow through multiple pages, try to break at a page where there is no flow. If it flows through all pages, come back and I'll tell you how to fix that.
But that computer was having issues... so I went back to my computer...
OK... with your help, I figured this one out. Divide and conquer was the key. I simply exported 10 pages at a time, then a hundred, then down to 5, 4, 1... found the problem page! And look! The stupid problematic font that was in a layout designed in illustrator didn't embed. So, it didn't look right... could see it right away... UGH! 6 hours lost. Okay Adobe... seriously... this was a cloud based font - why put fonts out there to use, if we can't go to print with them???? Don't do that... NOT cool! In fact... I'm a hundred bucks an hour - that'll be $600 please... or you could just give me a year of free service. Thank you Migintosh for your help. When nothing else works... DIVIDE and CONQUER!
This is a user to user forum. We are only users like you - trying to help each other out.
Adobe Staff rarely monitor the forums. That is to say - rants are falling on deaf ears posting here.
I urge you to post your issues on the Bugs/Feature Requests
We are all professionals and all have rates, and we all have issues with software, regardless of who makes it, from time to time.
As I say - the Adobe staff don't usually monitor the forums - but they do monitor the feature/bug request areas.
I strongly suggest you post there.
Also - when I'm doing divide and conquer - it's half the pages (say 1000 pages) it's 1-500 and then 501 to 1000.
I find this is a better method. If it fails on 1-500 - then I export 1-250 and 251-500
No matter the amount of pages - halving each export works a lot quicker for me.
It might also be user error -- embedding fontsw in Illustrator is a user option, as I recall.
hm. It's not a real option I think.
The default is that Illustrator always tries to embed the fonts in the PDF part of an Illustrator file when the option for compatibility with PDF is checked. That could fail if the permission of the font does not allow this.
And of course it would fail if the font is not available when saving the Illustrator file.
( ACP )
It seems my memory is bad and you are correct...
I agree that it's worth approaching Divide And Conquer in the most efficient way if you have a lot of pages. Dividing exactly in 2 needs a clear head and note taking. (Yes, I've tried to get away without the note taking and got lost and had to start again many times!) But suppose we have a 4000 page document. Dividing in two should get us there in 12 steps. While doing 10 pages at a time could take us 400 steps.