• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign | Math Graphics | A Better Way?

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a math-related book (now published) in InDesign where the cover and back cover are peppered with some relatively-sophisticated, intentionally-faint math graphics (see the attachment). The math graphics were generated via MS-Word (for "Equation") and/or MS-PowerPoint (for lines, circles, etc.) and subsequently JPEG'd for placement into InDesign (MS-Word/PowerPoint > Equation > JPEG > InDesign > File > Place...). The only problem I'm having is that the print quality (from the vendor) of the math graphics is inconsistent; one set of math graphics is clearer than another.

Is there a better way to do this? Where else can I generate professional-looking math graphics, as one would see in a calculus textbook, for example, for InDesign incorporation so as to achieve more consistent print quality and clarity?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Dave:

I've watched a number of YouTube videos based on your suggestion. Additionally, I never thought of PNG files. I'll give these a try. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: experiment with the size of the equations in Word, if the ones you placed originally were in say 12pt, reset them in 36pt,  save them as a PDF and Place that in your InDesign document reducing the size to suit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek:

I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you extracting the graphics? JPEG is the worst format for this type of art--you should use PNG. 

You can either make the equation larger and save as HTML, or you can zoom in and do a screen capture--either should default to PNG.

If you want the best results, google "InDesign math plugins". I've used Math+Magic in the past. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave:

I've watched a number of YouTube videos based on your suggestion. Additionally, I never thought of PNG files. I'll give these a try. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or save as Adobe PDF and place that file. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except the PDF is of the entire page and not just the graphic. The HTML would make a two PNGs: one cropped to the graphic and one with a transparent background.. Granted, one could crop the PDF or gang them all up on a few pages and place/crop in ID, but that's a lot more work.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barb:

Thank you. This is something to consider and gives me some ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines