• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Newsletter - December 2021

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Year ID Newsletter_Twitter.pngHappy New Year everyone! We hope that the holidays were good for all the Adobe Community members.

“Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve.” - Martin Luther King Jr. To help our new users mark his day, our ACP Andrea Batts-Latson has created a short video tutorial depicting how to create a flyer for this occassion. Thank you, Andrea! In addition, this newsletter features one of our favorite ACPs, Derek Cross. We also have info on trending topics, the latest InDesign update, and more! Keep reading.

For previous editions of the newsletter, see the Adobe InDesign Newsletter Home page.

ACP Highlight

I'm honored to feature Derek Cross as our community superstar for this month. Derek has been a part of our community for more than 14 years now. Derek is a long-time Adobe Community Professional (ACP) and has contributed to over 14K posts. We are thankful for your consistent contribution. 👍🏻 Keep rocking, Derek! 

In Derek's's own words:

Derek CrossDerek Cross

"I started typesetting as an apprentice compositor in London’s Fleet Street in the mid 1950s. At that time, typesetting from moveable type and printing had hardly changed since its invention at the end of the 15th century – we even used an Albion Press for proofing in those days!

Since then, I’ve seen many developments; camera-ready artwork with hot wax, the early attempts at phototypesetting through to today’s highly sophisticated publishing applications like InDesign, where you can produce artwork from your desk ready for your printer or for digital publishing – it’s been quite a journey.

As an apprentice, I was sent to college one day a week to learn about all aspects of printing and graphic design. This six-year period of study provided a solid basis for my subsequent career as a graphic designer. After finishing my apprenticeship, I joined Collins Publishers (now Harper Collins) as a graphic designer, designing and producing book covers and publicity material to promote their best-selling books. I subsequently moved to several other book publishers in various management roles and eventually started my own small imprint. During my time working in book publishing I met many bestselling authors, including, Ted Geisel, who you may know as Dr Seuss!

I returned to the London College of Communication during the late 1990s to undertake a full-time course in digital publishing. I have now retired though, during the UK lockdown in 2020, I worked with four expert authors and put together a book called “Mental Disorders, Mental Illness and the Family Court” (a sexy title, eh!) The book was taken on by Bloomsbury Professional and was published a couple of weeks ago. The publishers did their own production from my manuscript, but I produced a promotional brochure for the title. I created a print version for mailing and exhibitions and a digital version for emailing and social media. The workflow to produce the digital version is, I think, rather interesting and novel, which I describe below.

The brochure pages were created in InDesign and exported as an Interactive PDF.  It includes links (the yellow circles) to specimen pages from the book, which were also created in InDesign and uploaded to Publish Online and they have links to return to the brochure or place and order the book. The Interactive PDF was imported into the third-party application PaperTurn and a link to a YouTube interview with the authors.  See for yourself:

https://www.paperturn-view.com/?pid=MTk193284&v=24.1

I enjoy trying to answer some of the questions on the InDesign and Photoshop forums, but there are a number of gurus on there that know much more about these applications than me, but it keeps me out of trouble during the current lockdowns!

I live in the county of Kent in England (known as the garden of England because it is where most of the fruit orchards and hop gardens are situated). I live in a 250-year-old cottage that was originally a toll cottage. The owner in the late 1880’s hobby was photography and a number of his photographs have survived. So my next job (for fun) is to self-publish an illustrated booklet on the history of turnpikes and the toll system and the growth and decline of the system, rather like the growth and decline from metal hand and machine typesetting!".

Adobe InDesign update (17.0.1)

The Adobe InDesign version 17.0.1 brings to you stability and performance related fixes. Please click here for more information.

Trending issues

• Issue:- Page display looks glitchy when scrolling in InDesign.
  • Action:- Bug has been logged with our engineering team.
  • Workaround Solution:- Under InDesign preferences, change the UI scaling from large to small.

New tutorial for Beginners

How to create a Flyer in Adobe InDesign:-

Download link:

Helpful links

User guide | FAQCommon troubleshooting steps System requirements | Tutorial

To receive notifications for our newsletters for other Apps, please follow these pages:-

Photoshop |  Lightroom | Lightroom Classic | Illustrator

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?