• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign PDF Error

Participant ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error saving a PDF. It's a 104 page book with heavy graphics.

The error happens on random pages. So if I save a PDF the error will occur on page 17, then if I save it again, on page 52, etc.

I am saving the PDF without any compression and high res.

I did save it as a PDFX1A and that worked with no error. 

I checked all images and they are CMYK 8bit.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your INDD file is corrupted - do IDMLing - export as IDML, open, save with a new name - do not overwrite your original INDD file. 

As you have a lot of images - be prepared for the process to take a bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read my message???

I created a PDF with PDFX1A and it worked but an uncompressed PDF DOESNT WORK so this is an Adobe Issue!

I really wish stuff worked! Bring back the old days. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What file types did you use for the placed images and graphics? Avoid EPS!
  2. Are you aware best practice is to place RGB images and CMYK graphics?
  3. Did you also place PDFs? You should only place PDF/x-4, regardless of the final export requirements, if possble. 

4. When you place graphics and images, do you link or embed them? I strongly recommend to link them. 

5. Did you try an IDML REPAIR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

104 page book with heavy graphics.

I am saving the PDF without any compression and high res.

I created a PDF with PDFX1A and it worked but an uncompressed PDF DOESNT WORK

By @Christopher3440329747o5

it's possible that you're running out of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without compression? Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with the PDFX1a?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I tried IDML repair and that didn't work. 

2. I never used compression for offset printing.

3. PDFX1A is compression and the client was freaking out when I sent it for routing that there were lines in the artwork. They don't get that it won't print that way but in the past I always saved final PDF uncompressed.

The solution - WTH??? - was to turn on JPEG compress MAX QUALITY and then it worked. Just another Adobe issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution - WTH??? - was to turn on JPEG compress MAX QUALITY and then it worked. Just another Adobe issue!

By @Christopher3440329747o5

Like I mentioned, when exporting hundreds of pages with tons of heavy images without compression at once, you may run out of memory. It's a known issue and is mentioned in Adobe docs somewhere.

There are several ways to test this theory, for example: 

-Export each page without compression separately and see if it works,

or

-Try to export the entire file on a machine with double the RAM and see it if it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stitch lines that appears in artwork is caused by flattened transparency during PDF/X-1a export, not the compression setting.

It sounds as though your document contains many images with transparency applied, and perhaps multiple elements that are layered over top of one another with transparent effects. If that is the cause, exporting with any setting that retains transparency, you may experience errors or incorrect image composition.

The work around suggestion would be to export smaller sections. And if you need to supply a complete (all pages) PDF, use Acrobat to merge multiple PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem seems to be no compression and for the life of me, I see no reason whatsoever for it. The OP still hasn't explained that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines