• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign version 18.4 won't launch on 2023 MacBook Pro

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had trouble with my Indesign not opening when I click on it from my doc on my Mac. I thought it might have been my laptop so I restarted my laptop which didn't solve anything. I then tried to open the file I wanted directly without any luck. So I uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled it last night and it seemed to have fixed the issue (the programme opened and worked fine). However, this morning when I tried to open Indesign, the same thing is happening and it won't open again. I'm not sure where to go from here as uninstalling and reinstalling the program when I need to use it isn't practical. 

what is happening: I click on Indesign to open it and the 'loading' screen pops up for about 1-2 seconds and then disappears. The program isn't running in the background either as there is no option to close it or end the task in the task manager. 

Any help would be much appreciated as I have assignments due this Monday and I need Indesign to finish my work! 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try trashing the preferences? That might help

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/
-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution? trashed the preferences, opens once but not second time after quitting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to use a later version of the program and it works now. I have a class mate who was having the same issue last year and she had to go to a later version. I also had a class mate have issues with premiere pro and they had to go to an older version too. Give it a go and see if that helps. You can do this by going into your adobe cloud, sceoll to the program and the 3 dots will open up another menu where it says about later  versions - just click on one version before the current one and it will do its thing. Hopefully this works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Later" as in newer, or older. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem on my MacBook Pro.  It worked without problems for years, and suddenly this has started, and it's not related to any OS upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading the OS to the latest version seems to be working for people that have upgraded to the latest release of InDesign 18.5.

Alternatively:
Try resetting your preferences:

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

------

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

----------

Rollback to a previous InDeisgn version

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20Cr....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have done all of this and it still doesn't open. I have to uninstall and reinstall everyday to get it to work - and now I don't have any of my preferences. 

When I downgrade to an earlier version my files from the newest version won't open. 
Has Adobe addressed this? I see InDesign is in beta - is this what's causing problems for the normal one? Their programs always get glitchy before MAX and a new release. It's getting annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would seem to be a local issue.

Try booting your Mac in Safe Mode and see if InDesign behaves normally.
if it does - then a third party app is intererring.

You'll need to reboot your mac in normal mode and and then try Quitting applications that are running in the background in trial and error until InDesign launches.

https://www.guidingtech.com/how-to-fix-apps-not-opening-on-mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to reinstall the past 2 days to get ID (18.5) to open. Deleting preference files worked for me today. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked for me the first day I deleted them. then the next morning I had the same problem 😞

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO I clicked the link in the response below: (here. ) This explained it all. Apparently because I didn't have all the auto updates toggled on, my computer wasn't showing an update when "checking for new updates". I toggled them all on, and magically it had an update to 13.5 I was running 13.2. Everyone says that's fixing it. Praying that's so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I am seriously so over Adobe and their glitchy sh*t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mark272789243zmc,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with Adobe InDesign on your 2023 MacBook Pro. Software compatibility problems can be frustrating. We have received similar reports from users using InDesign 18.5 on the macOS Ventura however on updating the Operating System to 13.5 the issue was resolved as confirmed by multiple users here. So would you mind updating to the latest version of InDesign & OS and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came across the same issue. we really need ADOBE to step up their software to this new chips... switching to older version of InD seems the easiest fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue where I could only open the app once after installing it. Deleting preferences didn't do anything... 
I downgraded from 18.5 > 18.0 and the crashing doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Onderwijs In,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If you have macOS Ventura, we received reports from other users wherein InDesign crashed at launch on macOS Ventura 13.2. The issue was resolved after updating the macOS to the latest build of Ventura. You can check for more details here. You can try that and let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem with mac 14.0 and version 19 of Indesign, nothing works, not restarting, not deleting the preferences .. It has been a aproblem with the earlier version as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling thrid party fonts worked in my case..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines