• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index Page - auto number pages from long document?

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Hoping someone maybe able to save me a lot of time with some auto-genius solution to my problem.

I have design a directory which contains about 300 peoples names and profiles.  The directory requires an index at the back which lists people by Surname, First Name, and then the page number they can be found on.

So for example - John Smith may appear on page 21. In the index it will read:

SMITH, John ................................................ 21

Is there anyway I can pick up the page number for John Smith automatically?  I imagine some kind of table solution but I can't see how I could get it to search the document for John Smith and autonumber it.

Any ideas welcome!

Thank you in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an index in InDesign

About halfway down this help page is how to index a proper name

Generally speaking, you need to have the name selected to index it.

The shortcut to implant an Last-Name-First index marker is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+]

Add to that some sort of clever GREP find/change to speedily get you to the next FirstName Lastname, and you should be scooting along pretty quickly.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further, if you have made a current page number on the master page, then you have page numbers showing on your pages. But when you are satisfied that you have implanted all the names with an Index marker, then you go to the Index panel and GENERATE INDEX. The resulting index text will have the page numbers already in the text.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you search could be this kind of game where everybody wins in 1 click! …

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for your replied. I have to be honest, all of this is above my head!

I have looked at the videos and have worked out how to create a basic index, and vaguely how to use a find and replace grep (without fully understanding it) - then there is scripts ... argh!

I actually have the 2017 version of the directory (pdf) and as the index is the same in that one, and I am wondering if one kind person maybe able to help me if I inbox them the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines