• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index - reference page and paragraph number

Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping that someone can   help me. I have  several documents that all have numbered paaragraphs. I'm creatign an index so would like the index reference to not only show the page but also the paragraph. I see there is an option for  custom cross refeernce - but I don't know how to  add the  paragraph number. And in this index I only want to reference the first occurrence of  the item.  Any scripts would index sample.JPGbe most useful and appreciated.- so for example the bolded word Cape North needs to be indexed - it is on page2-11 and paragraph number 11, South Point - page 2-11, para #8.  and so on. In fact , all the bolded words need to be indexed. It seems like a script  should be possible for this.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A cross reference in the index is used to refer someone to synonyms in an index.

For example, line screen and screen ruling mean the same thing and if the author uses the words line screen but knows the reader might look up screen ruling, we use an index cross-reference to send the reader from screen ruling over to line screen to get the page number. In short, that won't work for you. I'm not aware of any way to add a paragraph number to an index. 

Plug-ins and scripting can extend the feature set of InDesign, so there may be a solution, but I'm fairly confident it is not within the InDesign feature set.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign's index supports just one type of locator: the page number. It's possible to script different types of locator, such as paragraph number, but that's a drastic script. It basically takes over the generation of the index. Not exactly trivial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sure it's not exactly trivial!

Such infos could be finally a little hard to read at the end [ Script for clients ] but they surely give at the end a good [better] view of the localization of the Index entries to readers.

Before ScriptBefore Script

After ScriptAfter Script

Zoom On IndexZoom On Index

Samples:

"aspidis" is found 4 times:

• page "2", twice in the main flow first column "a" and inside 2 auto-num paras ("#1" and "#4"), and the main flow third colum "c" (not inside an auto-num para)

• page "3", in the main flow first column "a" and inside an auto-num para (#8)

"nobiscut" is found 3 times, in the page "3":

• in the main flow second column "b" and inside an auto-num para ("#7"), and the main flow third colum "c" (not inside an auto-num para)

• in the second footnote ("f2")

(^/)  The Jedi

[paid Script]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aha! 3 questions

1. can script work from supplied list of  terms?

2. are the  references linked? [they need to be]

3. how much??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1/ Peter wrote such a Script and it's free:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/index_from_wordlist.html

2/ If the layout moves, update the Index (InDesign feature) and run myScript again.

3/ Send me a private message.

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice work, Michel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines