Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive documents - add delay to button

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I have been trying to make a button with multiple actions including going to next page. It would be best to describe what I did.

I have created a text with fade in animation. Afterwareds I did a object with no fill and no stroke, created a group out of this and added fade out animation. This created the effect that text fades in on page load and fades out later on. I allso added button so now text fades in on page load and out on button clickc. But here is the issue, I want the button that fades out the text also to go to the next page, with a bit of delay after fading out the text.

What I have so far and i tried:

At this point I have text, which fades in on page load and out on button click.

- I can't set delay to button bacuse "go to next page" is not an animation.

- I tried to set hyperlink action instead of button action, but I can't set delay to that either

- I tried to create two buttons, hidding one after being triggered, beneath which would be the second. This second then got the "go to next page" action, but this is incredibly confusing, furthermore you have to click it twice to work.

- I tried to go over forums and javascript options, but it seems, it only works for html5 outputs. Would be ideal to work in PDFs and published documents alike.

Overall I found no way of doing this, but maybe I am just missing something. So I don't actually know any workaround, but seems like trivial matter. I am also using latest version if InDesign.

TOPICS
How to , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021
There is no way any of this will ever work in PDF so you can forget that.

As you've already discovered there is no way to set a delay for go to page in EPUB or Publish Online. I suppose there might be some way to script this for epub use but that would require cracking it open and coding it manually. In short, without seeing exactly what you've done, I think you've gone as far as you can with this using InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way any of this will ever work in PDF so you can forget that.

As you've already discovered there is no way to set a delay for go to page in EPUB or Publish Online. I suppose there might be some way to script this for epub use but that would require cracking it open and coding it manually. In short, without seeing exactly what you've done, I think you've gone as far as you can with this using InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding buttons in Interactive PDFs, you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website.
Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines