Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ISBN

Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am about to publish a book (EPUB) on Apple Books.

Is ISBN necessary?

It looks meretricious. 

Hosun

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Not required, no, but if you plan on any other form of publication, it's not a bad idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Ebooks don't need an ISBN. Nor would one be of much use in the usual way.

Note that each edition of a book must have its own ISBN. They can't be shared (or reused) by hardcover, softcover, mass paper back or any other different publication format or size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

International Standard Book Number (ISBN-13): You don't need an ISBN-13 to publish to Apple Books, but if you have one, have it ready, as you can only enter it the first time you submit a book.

https://support.apple.com/guide/pages/publish-a-book-to-apple-books-tan229f2ef0c/mac#:~:text=International%20Standard%20Book%20Number%20(ISBN,time%20you%20submit%20a%20book.

You will need it if you decide later to sell it through regular retail channels. Bookstores, libraries, etc use it as a unique id

Votes

Translate

Translate

But as with Kindle, I am pretty sure an ISBN used for an Apple edition is unique to that edition and can't be used for, say, an Ingram or Smashwords EPUB edition. And not for any print version.

Except for major commercial e-books that will be released by multiple platforms, ISBNs are of far less use and value than they are for print editions. The Apple (or Kindle) ASIN is more than adequate. None matter to any but institutional buyers and large scale resellers, really.

The whole digital/PoD

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

PoD: print on demand. 

As an aside, I had to look up meretricious. 😂

mer·e·tri·cious 
/merəˈtriSHəs/
apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity

I'm always learning something here. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not required, no, but if you plan on any other form of publication, it's not a bad idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ebooks don't need an ISBN. Nor would one be of much use in the usual way.

Note that each edition of a book must have its own ISBN. They can't be shared (or reused) by hardcover, softcover, mass paper back or any other different publication format or size.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

International Standard Book Number (ISBN-13): You don't need an ISBN-13 to publish to Apple Books, but if you have one, have it ready, as you can only enter it the first time you submit a book.

https://support.apple.com/guide/pages/publish-a-book-to-apple-books-tan229f2ef0c/mac#:~:text=Interna...

You will need it if you decide later to sell it through regular retail channels. Bookstores, libraries, etc use it as a unique identifier.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But as with Kindle, I am pretty sure an ISBN used for an Apple edition is unique to that edition and can't be used for, say, an Ingram or Smashwords EPUB edition. And not for any print version.

Except for major commercial e-books that will be released by multiple platforms, ISBNs are of far less use and value than they are for print editions. The Apple (or Kindle) ASIN is more than adequate. None matter to any but institutional buyers and large scale resellers, really.

The whole digital/PoD publication system has made something of a hash of traditional book numbering and cataloging.

But the reasons to assign a standard number to small/self/PoD books are... negligible. A platform catalog number is adequate for all reasonable needs.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for all of 3 who replied me.

I am planning to keep my EPUB on Apple Books only.  I can conclude that ISBN has no merit. 

And what is PoD?

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PoD: print on demand. 

As an aside, I had to look up meretricious. 😂

mer·e·tri·cious 
/merəˈtriSHəs/
apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity

I'm always learning something here. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines