Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue printing transparent images from InDesign PDF Export

New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I am attempting to print the final version of my document, but when I try to print, the mostly transparent images in the background don't print. They show up fine in the PDF I exported from InDesign, but they won't actually print on paper. Is there something I can change in the export settings or about the file that will let this print correctly?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do you print from the PDF or from InDesign?
  2. Why do you use PNG? Those are not good for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's best to print from a PDF produced via InDesign rather than printing directly from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they show when you turn on Overprint Preview in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your PDF prints fine for me. The trees definitely show up.

I see nothing technically wrong with the file either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the printer? (brand/model). It could be a setting/calibration issue with your printer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when there is a problem with the print driver as Brad suggests (it’s not handling transparency flattening or color management correctly) sometimes flattening a PDF into a uniform color space can help.

There isn’t a problem with using PNGs—both PNGs in your file got exported at the same Effective Resolution, bit-depth, and color space as the linked files. PDF images don’t have a file format.

Try this Export>Output setting and print from Acrobat with Print As Image checked:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would change your tree art to grayscale (instead of RGB) and put it under the other elements. The opacity of the tree can be seen as a ghosted line on the circle logo.

Edit, also, add bleed, if needed.

ghost line.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines