• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Justification

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have InDesign recently tweaked the justification settings? Last November, I delivered a PDF of the fifth edition of my book to the publisher and, when it came back from the copyrighter desk (five weeks later), justification fails every time I move a figure. I don’t need to make changes in the text, moving a figure is enough to trigger justification problems on neighboring paragraphs (Arno Pro, 12/13 @ 26p9, Spanish, Just: 67 %, 100 %, 200 %, Adobe Paragraph Composer).

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you open a file created in an earlier version of InDesign? If so, this is fairly normal as the text engine is tweaked from one version to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take all the updates as they come. The PDF is dated on December 10, 2019.
I received the revision this morning, so a little more than a month has
passed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't answer the question. We need to know what version created the document and what version opened it.

Impossible to troubleshoot without that information, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I’m working with v. 15.0.1 x64. Is there any way to discover which version I was using on December 10th?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF reports version 15.0 (Windows, by the way).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no text difference between 15.0 and 15.0.1. Perhaps a font difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is my beloved Arno Pro. I downloaded it from Creative Cloud months ago (at least). Enclosed are a couple of screenshots. The first one is from the file I completed on December 10th, untouched. You can see figure 75, on top of page 222, grouped with its caption. I took the second screenshot after ungrouping the frames, nothing more.

Error 01.jpgError 02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots, unfortunately, are worthless until Adobe gets the previews fixed. They're unreadable.

That said, looks like a book panel there. Perhaps something in a recent synch? Did this happen immediately after ungrouping or did it happen after an edit?

Is it possible that this text, was still untouched from an earlier version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is annoying. It is the first time that I see something like that, being an ID user and teacher for more than ten years. I can share the original file/s in case someone believes this is a bug or something that deserves to be close checked.

The problem happens every time I shrink, enlarge, move, or ungroup a figure. There’s no need to touch the text. Besides, avoiding loose or tight lines (in Spanish) is now much more difficult, as if the justification algorithm has been seriously downgraded in the last few days.

I make changes to the text while editing, all the time, because I’m the author. So, there is no way that this text could remained unchanged with regard to an older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I can zoom in on the screen shots (command + on a Mac) and they look fine. Jorge, did you install any plug-ins? or font managers in the last month or so? from the screen shots it looks like there could be a hyphenation issue, perhaps due to language settings? Also, the second screen shot shows a DropBox message, are you working on files in DropBox? I'm curious what the application icon on your dock is, at the far right side of the dock? it is on the 2nd screen shot, but not the first. It's a stretch, but try deactivating Arno Pro, re-starting InDesign, then re-activating.

Pic1.pngPic2.pngDock icon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This morning I had the chance to do the same test in my laptop (Lenovo T490) and the results were all the same (see the screenshots). Consider this: If I open the file today to make a minuscule change, save it, close it, and reopen it, I get exactly the same outcome: the text will change If I just ungroup a neighboring figure.

I’ll start by reinstalling the font, but this very much looks like a new bug.

Besides, I have no plugins installed, I save everything in DropBox (except for the original files, which I send to Creative Cloud). As for the message at the bottom-right on yesterday’s second screenshot, it says that DropBox cannot synchronize a file which is not related with this issue.

Error 03.jpgError 04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines