Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard shortcuts not working CC 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For some time, however, before updating to the 2020 version, the keyboard shortcuts like "shift + D" to duplicate or "shift + drag" to scale an element proportionally or "option + space" to zoom in no longer work. I tried all the solutions found on the forum but they didn't give results: I restarted the application doing the preferences reset, I deleted the files of preferences and cache, I restarted the mac, I reset the pram, ... I work on macbook pro Mojave. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 149 Replies 149
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highly annoying, having the same issue here. Whenever I pressed T it switches back to the V selection tool instead. However, noting that this happened on an old ID document (haven't tested this extensively yet), but if I (in the same session) opened a new document with nothing in it, the T tool worked properly in the new document. Switched back to the old document, T switches back to the selection tool near instantaneously. Still, exiting InDesign caused a crash report. MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 on a 2019 Mac Pro.

Back in the day, going from PageMaker to InDesign was a really great experience, but these days it seems MONEY is the only thing Adobe cares about. And Adobe representatives need to stop blaming other softwares and retorting to "delete prefs and/or reinstall" at every turn. The InDesign codebase either needs a major overhaul, or we need something to replace InDesign. I'm looking at Affinity, but have yet to make the leap.

Edit: I've since rebooted but have not been able to reproduce the issue right off the bat, using the same documents. Tried starting Outlook, Microsoft Remote Desktop as well as Excel, but nothing triggered the bug. This may be something that is hard to reproduce, making it difficult to trace back to what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening on PCs for past year on CC. Only instead of completely gone it is only sometimes gone.

It is there one minute and gone the next time I launch indesign. Exit program and they come back, sometimes. Sometimes it takes relaunching the program or rebooting the system.

Does not matter if on PC or laptop.

I use many of the shortcuts previously mentions and ctrl-x to cut ctrl-v to paste, or just hitting the delete key on the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Cmd+Space is not working for Zoom; Shift is not working to constrain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, even as simple as "command s" doesn't work. So disappointing and frustrating.....!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this end, this happens when a Microsoft product (Word / PowerPoint) was open at the same time as InDesign. Quiting InDesign, Word, PP, restarting always helps. Annoying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed -- I have had no luck using command+n or command+o for new and open doc, respectively. For over a year. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my CC and I'm experiencing similar issues. I can't use the SHIFT button to constrain proportions when re-sizing, nor does the Option key allow me to duplicate items anymore. I've tried closing all Microsoft programs and restarting, I've tried going into keyboard shortcuts and altering it manually, but the Shift key isn't even applicable as a shortcut option. These are shortcuts I've been using for the last 15 years, it has severely impacted my ability to work quickly and efficiently. Please fix this ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if anything else is using those buttons, especially at operating system level, for me it was that siri has the default of command space, once I disabled siri InDesign was happy again...

Also, does anyone actually use siri, what's the point of it!! 

PS, I remember these kinds of problems over a decade ago, you'd think they'ed have this kind of rookie level mistake sorted before releasing onto the PAYING public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it's not OS related nor Office related. In systemprefs there's no cmd-n and it also happens when Office is not in use. Never had any problems in CS6 and CC17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, my keyboard shortcuts stopped working today right after I updated my Monday.com app. As soon as I closed the Monday.com app, all keyboard shortcuts are working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just restarted my MacBook – made sure not a single program was automaticaly opening after restart.

Fiered up InDesign and TADAA, my Spacebar–Handtool is working again!

After that I openend all the programs that were open during the problem, and InDesign is still working fine.

However… really don't know what the problem is/was – and if it will return. The solution was simply trial-and-error and really a 'blindfolded' fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just closed Microsoft Teams and the T shortcut started worked immediately. I hope it lasts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok it worked twice. then it stopped working again. sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in this forum when I was having these problems. I thought I 'd share whats changed now that I don't have the issues any more. 

I run Indesign 15.1.2 which was up to date at the time.

I updated Wacom tablet, and Extensis Suitcase font software. But updating these and renewing plugins didn't change anything. My Macbook pro 16" was already up to date 10.15.6 Catalina.

I do have an old Apple display monitor 24" and a wired keyboard plugged into the monitor.

At the time of losing the key function I noticed a moisture or steam patch on the screen. The shortcut keys all worked fine on my laptop, but not on the wired keyboard. The keys worked fine at my work, workstation that has a newer Apple thunderbolt display with a wireless keyboard. So I've replaced the keyboar at home to a new wireless one and the keys seem fine. If I plug in the charging cable to the usb sockets on the back though, the keys don't work. I figured something happened to the usb socket... With Apple, its good to notice old kit in your set up. I have the old monitors as I haven't been able to find anything better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this is hilarious. This morning I launched ID 2020 (15.0.3) to create a quick page. First thing I did was cmd-n (while thinking here we go again) and lo and behold, it created a new document. With a Wacom Intuos Pro L (driver 6.3.40-2) connected and Word 2011 (among others) open. As far as I can remember I haven't run any updates other than Firefox and the Creative Cloud app which I had to repair on a daily basis for a few months. I have no idea if it will work as well tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is October 27, 2020. And I opened PrPro to find spacebar "play" not working and no keyboard shortcuts.

I chatted with Adobe and they told me to do this: 1. Go to documents/adobe/premier pro folder and rename "Premiere Pro" folder as "premier pro.old"  2. Go to library/preferences/adobe and rename "Premiere Pro" folder to match the previous rename "premiere pro.old".  

Then I started PrPro and all keyboard shortcuts & spacebar play worked. But I lost my "workspaces". Chat guy said I could find those in the old folder if I wanted. I told him I'd just rebuild my workspaces and that was it for me. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me! I uninstalled some apps in frustration and now it works again. I deleted ClamXAV, BlueJeans Video Conferencing and GoToMeeting Video Conferencing – and all files connected to the apps in ~Library/Preferences. After that it start working again – shift/scale, alt+drag to copy. I will start InDesign and try the commands after every new software I install later on! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was Global Protect. When I'm signed in it instantly disables the keyboard-mouse short cuts in all CC apps. To get them back I need to restart my machine and not sign into Global Protect. But as soon as I sign in again the problems will return. Super annoying, but at least I know the culprit and how to manage the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue, too, but I am not using a Macbook. This is my system info:

Lenovo ThinkPad
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Product ID 00330-53117-21140-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I just upgraded to InDesign CC 2021 with this new computer, and the shortcut that is making me the most crazy is drop shadow Ctrl+Alt+M.

It's a default shortcut, and it just does not work. I even tried to delete it and redo it, but the Adobe interface won't let you put it back in. It's so maddening. I tried deleting the presets and everything, but to no avail. I tried closing other programs. No difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don’t get if we are having this issue why isn’t Adobe responding. This is crazy. I am running cc2019 all works great except the shortcuts which I know in my sleep and can’t use. Maddening!!!!!

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the problem since the recent update, it never had the problem before. And what makes it hard to diagnose is the problem happens intermittently, not able to figure out why. Simple things even like "command s" doesn't work in a moment, and then it will work again... So frustrated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Premiere Pro trying to deliver commercials today and I can't even get video or audio files to drag and drop from the Project window to a timeline. None of the keyboard shortcuts work to do simple things like zoom in on the timeline or Clear in/out points. Absolutely screwed my entire day. WTF???!?!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am not understanding is who at Adobe is looking at these emails. I need there help. I tried to call the 800 number. The person had no idea how to help me. I was put on hold 3 times. I finally ended the call because we were getting nowhere. When I got a email to survey how my call went. I posted my anger and asked for someone to call me. That was over a week ago. Still no response. Grrrrr!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you guys try closing all Microsoft programs? That worked for me. I quit them all, and then slowly opened the two I use most often to see if it was them. I can now have Outlook and Teams open and things are going ok. I just updated to Catalina over the weekend as well as to 365. 

If you've tried this already, I apologize for the repeat advice. This is a stupid problem to have overall and it freaked me out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue few days after updating to 2021 version. Not running any 3rd party plugins or any other software. Funny how Sketch and Figma don't have these issues or they fix them within days but Adobe can't and always lays blame with users or 3rd parties instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines