Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard shortcuts to userscripts - chaos

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

all you scripters must be having the same problem - everytime you flush your indesign preferences (perhaps to fix a broken palette) - basically everytime indesign re-assigns new action-IDs to the scripts then your keyboard shortcuts are shuffled into chaos. This  also keeps me from synching the keyboard-preferences on different workplaces, because on different installations indesign will assign other action-IDs to my scripts, so i cannot reuse my keyboard shortcuts.indk file on different computers. (By the way synching the other preferences, color managment and workspaces works great with dropbox and "folder-synch". It's just the shortcuts that i have to set again and again)

How do you scripters cope with this problem? Or can we find a solution?

I am having this problem since Indesign CS4. From windows-XP to Win7. But i don't think this is relevant. It's because indesign doesn't assign the shortcuts to the scripts by filename but by those volatile action-IDs.

with kind regards,

Stephan Möbius

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephan Moebius wrote:

..i don't think this is relevant. It's because indesign doesn't assign the shortcuts to the scripts by filename but by those volatile action-IDs.

Are you sure about that? I just renumbered the action-id's in my indk file, from its apparent random numbering scheme to a simple incrementing value="0xff000000 + 1", ".. + 2", etc. -- and it all still seems to work.

(I did not bother to try "+ 0" as the very first number. In my very basic SDK experience, I've learned that 'base' numbers -- constant plus zero -- may be special in one way or another. So it may or may not work the same with the KBS -- I don't need to know )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not dare to fiddle around with those keys in the .indk file before and will do some testing thanks to you. Jongware.

But if the action-IDs are irrelevant, why do my keyboardshortcuts to the userscripts get shuffled as described?

Surely as a scripter you must have had this problem sometime in the last five years? I had it so often, on many different computers, i don't do anythings special or different...

As an example of HOW the shortcuts get out of order: it gets shuffled like this:

Before reset

script1 - keyboardshortcut: ALT-1

script2 - keyboardshortcut: ALT-2

script3 - keyboardshortcut: ALT-3

script4 - keyboardshortcut: ALT-4

After a preferences-reset:

script1 - keyboardshortcut: ALT-1, keyboardshortcut: ALT-2, keyboardshortcut: ALT-4

script2 - <none>

script3 - <none>

script4 - keyboardshortcut: ALT-3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't get me wrong -- I try to avoid it as much as possible, but yes, whenever I do the dreaded Reset Everything routine, my keyboard shortcuts are also mangled beyond recognition.

But as you can see, it's something inside InDesign itself that gets it wrong. It seems unrelated to the actual action id's (other than that they point to "a script").

What I meant is it should be perfectly okay to save a copy of your working KB set somewhere else, and restore that one when you find your preferences have messed it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Don't get me wrong -- I try to avoid it as much as possible, but yes, whenever I do the dreaded Reset Everything routine, my keyboard shortcuts are also mangled beyond recognition.

But as you can see, it's something inside InDesign itself that gets it wrong. It seems unrelated to the actual action id's (other than that they point to "a script").

What I meant is it should be perfectly okay to save a copy of your working KB set somewhere else, and restore that one when you find your preferences have messed it up.

I am happy that you acknoledge the problem. I was hoping that i am not alone and that i am not the cause of this myself.

Unfortunatly  using a copy of the .indk doesn't help. But i will try that again now too, as long as with the manual editing of the IDs - just to get more info on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right. Keeping a copy of the indk file does help. I didn't do any structuerd tests with reprocucing/forcing the error, but ever since i set the indk file to non-writable and - if i need to -overwrite it with an older version i do seem to get around the problem. I still don't  understand how a reset messes up the shortcuts file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years was have passed and the "problem" persists.

What a boring behavior!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years is nothing in the history of InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a copy of my indk file and set it as read-only.

So I made a short script to toggle between the default set and my read-only set.

Until now, it's working for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. This problem has annoyed me since keyboard shortcuts for scripts was added to InDesign.

Seems like there should be an easier way to handle this than having to fiddle with the .indk file; but yes, this does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "trick" stopped to work...

Any new ideas?

Em 23 de jul de 2017 3:12 PM, "S Hopkins" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

escreveu:

Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

keyboard shortcuts to userscripts - chaos

resposta de S Hopkins

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/S+Hopkins?et=watches.email.thread> em *InDesign

Scripting* - Visualize a discussão completa

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9719529?et=watches.email.thread#9719529>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I use a lot of scripts and after installing InDesign CC 2018, as usually there was a mess with scripts shortcuts.

This time, having a locked ".indk" file and restoring it didn't do the trick.

So here is a workaround that worked for me (I'm on Mac).

1. quit Indesign
  2. open your (unlocked) .indk file in textEdit on Mac, the one containing your current shortcuts ;
  3. locate a shortcut that doesn't work anymore, by looking at its name=" ;
  4. replace action-id value="0xff000000 with a new sequence, like action-id value="0xff000100 in the whole document with replacing all (only number "0" was changed to number "1" in "0xff000000")
  5. open Indesign, change shortcut set to [Default] then revert back to your custom shortcut set, to be sure it's effectively applied ;

I could retrieve every previous shortcut.

If you create a new shortcut, InDesign will revert the sequence back to 0xff000000, but it seems to retain the shortcut this time.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works.

I’m on a mac at work and at home, previously when migrating my scripts folder and shortcut sets from work (CC 2015) to home (CC 2018) it would always reassign a handful of shortcuts between scripts, often times resulting in a single script having more than one shortcut assigned to it, taken from another script, while that other script now has nothing assigned to it. It’s so maddening.

I haven’t tested every script-based shortcut I employ yet per se, but so far everything looks in tact, thanks to the above workaround.

Great work everyone. Adobe needs to fix this ultimately.

Seems like the real issue may be that Adobe Indesign doesn’t natively have migrating of shortcuts built into it. The developers didn’t altogether lock it away somewhere unreachable, but they also overlooked building it into a deliberate feature, similar to print and PDF presets that can be loaded and unloaded (saved/exported) from within indesign itself.

Maybe that’s why script-shortcuts get so mixed up and reassigned?

In any case thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines