• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large document acting strange

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 96-pag dociment that is acting very stragely and I would like to nip this problem in thr bud before it gets worse.

It simply takes as long as 20-30 seconds to open or close or to switch to another document. I even tried renaming it and saving to another location but that didn't help. When I am workin on the document itself it works fine.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Your file opened up very quickly and I was able to switch between documents without issue. 

The animated GIF below is close to actual time (assuming it plays correctly online). It only took seconds to open your file. I suspect the issue is in your setup.

2022-07-21_12-57-46.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try:

1. Close all programs and log out of the Creative Cloud.
  2. Sign back in and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't work, add this step:

3. Use the Adobe CC Cleaner app to remove your ID Credentials. (ID is for Identity, not InDesign.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That first suggestion worked without even having to go to the Adobe CC
Cleaner app.
Thanks so much for all your help.

--
Wayne Block
Coordinator of Athletic Marketing and Public Relations
Mesa Community College
Maricopa County Community College District
1833 West Southern Avenue, Mesa AZ 85202
wayne.block@mesacc.edu
https://www.m <>esatbirdsports.com
(M) - 757-288-1484

*MCCCD Statement of Non-Discrimination*
<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to David Creamer the problem was solved.

However, it has started up again. Any thoughts of what might be causing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that I need to sign out periodically, especially after the Creative Cloud app updates. Why the app's settings get corrupted is beyond expertise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear whether the OP has used the Adobe Cleaner to remove the application and resistall it and also whether s/he has upgraded the RAM from 8GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had the chance to upgrade from 8GB RAM and havd not tried the Adobe Cleaner simply because I have no experience with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are things you need to address if you want to run InDesign efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You definitely want to upgrade the RAM--16 GB would be my bare minimum. Depending on the model and age of your laptop, it may be able to handle 32 or 64. Generally, put in as much as makes sense economically. Sometimes RAM for older computers becomes more expensive and it's not worth spending too much on a system with older technology. You also want to look at your storage--ideally, it would be a Solid State Drive (SSD). Sometimes, between adding more RAM and installing an SSD, your computer can seem like it's brand new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David.

I do have an SSD but will look into adding RAM. This unit isn't even two years old so it makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the model, it could go as high as 64GB RAM. (My three-year-old Dell XPS 15 has 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, and an i9 processor.)

Also, consider pausing any cloud backup services while you work, including OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. Some have a timer so they will turn back on automatically; other you need to un-pause them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more quick question and then I will leave you alone.

I found my PC can only handle 16 GB RAM which I will probably go ahead and have installed. I have always been amazed at how well this one, as well as other even less powerfule ones I have had in the past, handle INDD,

Is there anything else you can think of to help with this problem?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 16 GB? Surprising for a 2-year old system. Check to see if you have an SSD (Solid State Drive). If you have a traditional hard drive, you might want to have a new one installed. It can really make a big difference in responsiveness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely do have an SSD hard drive which is 2 TB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than upping the RAM and working locally off your SSD, there won't be much to speed things up. Don't run any other programs and only load the fonts you need at the moment. You might want to turn off any cloud storage backing up in the background while working. 

I'm surprised a 2-year old computer with a 2TB SSD maxes out at 16GB RAM. What brand/model is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Dell Inspiron 15-3000, I made sure to get a large SSD drive (it is actually 1TB, my backup drive is 2 TB), but I guess I messed up on the RAM. The HD is 47% free.

I don't use cloud storage. I have a backup drive that backs up once a day. I guess I do have One Drive but I really don't use it. Is iy worth it to turn it off? I'm sure I can look up how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your external using USB-C or USB-3? If the former, you should be able to work on it with little performance issues. If the latter, I would use it for backup from the internal drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't kniw, but I will find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just thought I would let you know, since you have been such a big help, that a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to the latest version of INDD, even though I havn't yet been able to add RAM, and the problem has dissapeared. 

Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines