• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer exporting

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that I need to export in three different versions. Can I specify which layers should be turned on or off for each version (final outcome), and export all three versions simultaneously as interactive PDFsusing a script? Also can I specify page numbers?

To simplify the illustration below I have named the layer names as Layer 1,2,3... but layers are properly named depending on contents.

For example:

ver.1:

Layer 1 on

Layer 2 off

Layer 3 off

from Layer 4 to 10: on

v2:

Layer 1 off

Layer 2 on

Layer 3 off

v3:

Layer 1 on

Layer 2 off

Layer 3 off

I've come across similar threads where a script exports multiple versions and another that toggles layers on and off, but I'm struggling to combine all of these. I would greatly appreciate any help!

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, you cannot. When you save the file, you save them all. There are some serious script mavens around here who may have, or be able to create, a combo of the scripts you've found and provide what you're looking for.

However, all is not lost. If we're only talking three versions, you can manually save copies named to correspond with your versioning, and then save each version with the appropriate layers visible, hidden and/or deleted. Recipients can have all the layers, and you can ensure that they see the layers you want visible. Or, if you're insistent, you can go in and delete the offending layers and they'll only have the layers you want them to have.

I mean, scripting would be nice. But if we're only talking about a few versions, we're probably also only talking a few minutes of lightly focused effort to get the results you desire. It may be worth it to do yourself.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, I'm not interested in your sarcastic comments, Randy. Just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it's impossible. There's always someone with more knowledge than you. I'm seeking positive support from this community. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't take that as sarcastic. It absolutely was not my intention. Honestly. And I don't presume to know everything about InDesign.

I'm not kidding when I say there are lots of script mavens around here who can do amazing things with InDesign. And if you can find two different scripts which can do what you want, I'd imagine someone who's really good at it around here could create one script that can do it for you too.

I tried to offer something that could serve you today before you get that other solution. I really meant no disrespect. I was trying to help.

Please don't take it badly. I certainly didn't intend it that way.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP wants to EXPORT as PDF - not save as INDD... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can be done too, I'm sure.

I know this is your lane; maybe you can help this lady. I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Elizabeth285754906b5l, If you work on a PC - my tool "would" be able to do what you need:

RobertTkaczyk_0-1696194838870.png

... but not right now ... Unfortunately, free version would be rather useless as there is no option to Save & Load Tasks, so for you to build Task from scratch would be rather pointless ... BUT your problem highlights, that I should change my policy - and allow users, even in the free version, to Save and Load Tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And done - new version uploaded - now it's possible to Save Tasks - but Load only one - all other on the list will be removed - and only 10 first rules from the Task will be loaded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Robert, many thanks for this! Unfortunately, I am on a Mac, so I cannot use your program. I appreciate your help regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines