Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintain Original Scale of Items When Placing-Linked in InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

I am using InDesign in order to create architectural presentations. Often times that requires placing architectural drawings, which should be kept tin their original scale (ie, appear in the document so that if an items measured 2 inches in the original drawing, it should measure the exact 2 inches after being placed in indesign).

When placing by double-clicking, usually the placed item will maintain its original scale. However, if the item is placed in a previously created frame to fit a certain desired layout, it would not maintain the original scale; I can't figure out how InDesign "decides" what scale to import it in. When this happens, I try to scale the drawing back to its original dimensions, but this is difficult to achieve and often its very hard to get the exact original scale. 

My question is:

Is there a way to automatically place items in their original scale, in an existing placeholder?   

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless a frame has Frame Fitting Options modified while empty then images and graphics should place at 100% if you drag and drop from the Finder, Bridge, or Windows Explorer or use File > Place. If you click+drag to place an image it will be scaled to the size of hte frame you drew when you placed the image.

If this is not what is hapening check to see that Frame Fitting Options (Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options…) have not been modified. Also tell us what format the graphics are that are giving you problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

yes, I see it now. It didn't work well in another document I was working on, but since I had to reinstall indesign anyway, I guess the fitting preferences were set to default so currently there is no rescaling. 
also, while investigating this, I also realized that if you select the object with the direct selection tool (white arrow, so the brown frame is selected), the properties menu shows its actual size, so the desired demendions could be simply typed there. There is an option to lock proportions so this seems to be the best way to accurately scale the object, if for some reason the original scale was overruled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines