• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

make facing pages one page for purposes of horizontally centering an object (image)

Advisor ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a PDF where some facing pages are treated as one page for purposes of an image printing across these pages and which is horizontally centered.  I manually centered the image in the first screen shot.  In the 2d screenshot, I selected both pages and chose Align Horizintal Centers, but since the pages aren't joined I got the result shown.  Can I treat these pages as one page so I can center the image horizontally?  Also, how would I make that a Parent Page so I could apply that treatment to other pages in the book?  Thank you.  

bartonlew_0-1692380063283.pngbartonlew_1-1692380155000.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Hi @bartonlew , I assume this is not for a document that will not be professionally printed and bound? Bound books need to be imposed from single pages, and in the case of a spread you would simply cross the image over the facing page spread and Export the PDF as single pages—the printer will handle the crossover imposition.

If it’s for a PDF where you want to allow someone to selectively print an individual spread from Acrobat, a document page can be sized to any dimension with the Pages tool

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bartonlew , I assume this is not for a document that will not be professionally printed and bound? Bound books need to be imposed from single pages, and in the case of a spread you would simply cross the image over the facing page spread and Export the PDF as single pages—the printer will handle the crossover imposition.

If it’s for a PDF where you want to allow someone to selectively print an individual spread from Acrobat, a document page can be sized to any dimension with the Pages tool. Here I’m selecting page 5, and with Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle unchecked, I can delete page 5, and then with the Pages tool resize page 4 into a spread:

Screen Shot 42.pngScreen Shot 41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  All went well until clicking on the 3rd icon (underneath Direct Selection Tool) in your 2nd screenshot.  Then I did not see the same "Transform" dialog box pop up as you show.  So instead I went over to Properties, and changed the width there.  But that gave me the result below.  What am I doing wrong?  (And yes you are right this is not to send to a printner, but create a rough edit.)  Thanks.

bartonlew_0-1692392028230.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform is a panel. See Window>Object&Layout>Transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes you are right this is not to send to a printner, but create a rough edit.

You can also Export a 2 page spread as a single page:

Screen Shot 50.pngScreen Shot 51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Why (as shown in the screenshot below and also in your screenshot) does the 1 page spread appear outside the document/page range of the spreads that precede and follow it, with the right half of the spread aligned vertically with the left half of all the other spreads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Facing Page documents always have a spine, which would be at the center of a 2 page spread—in my example the custom 17" x 11" page is to the left of the spine. Since you are not designing a document that will be bound it shouldn’t be a problem.

It would be a problem for a commercial printer. In my example there are only 11 pages, so a printer would have to somehow split the 17" x 11" custom page into two 8.5" x 11" pages in order impose a 12 page document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines