Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master Page Numbers Not Showing

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey
My auuto page numbers are not showing up in InDesign on pages that have other content (images, color, etc.). I've gone to the master page, selected the auto number cell and selected 'Bring to front' but the numbers still stay burried under content on the pages that have things in the lower right (or left) sections of the page. Is there a way to have the numbers show on all pages regardless of if there's other content in the page number area?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create a new top layer and move the page numbers to that layer.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2008 Nov 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an A Master page problem. The A Master appropriately applies itself to all document pages correctly, except one. The master page item is a colored background, which becomes strangely off-kilter on one particular page. What appears is an opacity icon next to the page number on the pages tab, and the message that this spread has a transparent object, which I believe is the A Master page item. In trying to solve the problem, sometimes I get an out-of-gamut icon, which apparently is telling me that the color is out of the correct range. Well, the software has it right, it is out of the correct range, but clicking any of the options available does not correct that page to be the same as the other pages, exhibiting the same A Master page item. I've tried replacing the master page item, with a fresh item, and it does not help correct the one page, out of all the pages in the document, which is, color-wise, lighter and duller than the other pages. Can someone make some suggestions as to what I can do to make the A Master page item apply the same to all the pages of my document? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, there does not seem to be a relation to the original post. Keep the forum clean and searchable for old users as well as for new posters, so they can in turn find (and respond to) relevant questions. Use "Add topic", rather than "Post Reply".

The way the pages display on your system is -- unexpectedly, perhaps -- not important. InDesign merely tries to show how the page will look like when printed. Because that requires quite a few expensive calculations, to prevent slow-downs ID does not do that for every single page, just the ones using transparency. If you switch on "Overprint preview", you will notice all pages are drawn the same (a lot slower).

It is not important because the colour change will not propagate into the printed product. However, transparency might have some effects on (particularly) type -- but that's another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

I just answered this in the other thread. Sounds to me like you need to change the transparency flattening color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2008 Nov 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks as always for your input. I explored your suggestion and didn't find anything that I thought was amiss in the color space. It then occurred to me that the out-of-gamut warning might be the cause, and that I had misapplied the command incorrectly, by which I mean that I was trying to apply the out-of-gamut warning to the out-of-kilter page, instead of going to the A Master page, and changing it from there. I reapplied the out-of-gamut warning command to the A Master page, and voila! success. All pages now have the same background hue and print out as such.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by the out-of-gamut command, but adjustments to Master page items need to be made on the master page or the the item must be overridden onto the live page before the adjustment will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. on my master page i have a design as a footer band. its a pdf i imported. I added page number text box on it..... but it does not appear over it... if i move it above the footer design or below it shows. but never over the footer design. as soon as i move it over the footer design it converts into a red box with plus on right bottom.

i tried creating a new layer and moving the page number text field on that but even then no benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the frame with the red plus sign

Object>Text Frame Options

Tick the option to "Ignore Text Wrap"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds to me like the PDF has a text wrap on it. Select the PDF, go to Window > Text Wrap and select the "No text wrap" option.

Alternatively you could select the text box containing the page number, go to Object > Text Frame Options… and tick the "Ignore Text Wrap" option.

It's best to start a new topic if you want a better chance of getting a response, especially as your problem is a bit different from the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines