Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MathML in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Friends,

May I know whether InDesign support MathML like 3B2.

If yes, which plugin I suppose to use?

If no, in which way I can handle?

Advance thanks for your guidance.

Thanks,

kanaga kumar. k

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign won't support mathml.

You can use external editor like mathtype for this workflow.

Other plugins are powermath, inmath etc., but it won't support mathml (I think so...), those plugins have it's own codings.

Vandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vandy88 is correct -- InDesign doesn't support MathML, but MathType does, and you can use MathType with MathML. However, I don't want to cloud the issue or introduce confusion -- using MathType with InDesign means you'll insert the equations into the document as EPS, not as MathML. Even if you use MathType to process the MathML, the MathML equations still aren't recognizable by InDesign, and they'll need to be in graphical format.

Unless you're tied to InDesign, there are some really nice XML+MathML solutions available in the marketplace, but this probably isn't the right forum to discuss that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

How are you doing?

You said about some solutions using XML+MathML.

I know this not the right forum to discuss that, but I will be very glad if you give a direction to choose a good solution that I can use XML + MathML automated by JavaScript in InDesign.

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The movemen MathTools plug-ins work with MathML. MathML is rendered in InDesign as plain text, and exports to PDF and Epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

I'm your fan.

I've seen this plugin before.

I will ask the developer about the automation with JavaScript.

Have you seen this one by Scand?

https://scand.com/products/mathml-kit/

In a test that I did works fine with JS but I am not sure if works both PC and Mac.

Let me know if you have new options about MathML.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MathTools is fully scriptable with JavaScript, it's very well supported. And because MathTools equations are editable text objects there's a lot of scope for scripting.

I didn't know Scand's system. They mention 'MathML Kit has no internal visual editor for formulas, but you might use your favorite from Links panel as usual' suggests that the equations are placed files.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably you could say SCAND's plugin lacks built-in editor but it imports .mathml files in automated mode (following a script). Moreover it be customized by your request. So you've a bunch of equations to be implemented in Adobe InDesign and got no time it could help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BTW a new version is going for release in a couple of days, it would support Adobe CS 2019 as well. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines