• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging Data for Numbered Labels in a Table

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an Online Labels template and I need about 10,000 labels numbered sequentially - there are 160 on a sheet. Is a data merge from an excel doc with the numbers all in one column the way to do this? Struggling to figure it out...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

You will need to use Excel to generate a sequential list by autofilling a column and export to .csv. Then use a Multiple Record data merge in Indesign to complete this task. The merge document size will be 160 labels (I'm assuming 8.5 x 11), not one individual label. However, you do want to create a frame the size of one label that will contain the variable placeholder(s). A. from screen shot will be the offset for outer margins. B. will determine the horizontal and vertical spacing between each

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Maybe. I dunno.

I have no idea what an "Online Labels template" is nor what its relationship to ID is for certain. Are these labels you'll print yourself? If yes, then one could create all the numbers in an Excel sheet and do a data merge. It may be a bit fiddly to enter the position/offset for the multiple data merge though.

I think it would be easier to copy and paste that numbered Excel spread sheet and save as a plain text file. Then create and place threaded text boxes in the proper position on a master page, then on a regular page import that text.

The paragraph style for the numbers simply needs set up to position the numbers where you want them and at what text size, then add to the style that there is a frame break associated with it. Then each number should be positioned in each text box and flow until it is all placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the actual layout is set up, you could also use a paragraph number style. The cell would need some content for the number to appear, but a space will work.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will need to use Excel to generate a sequential list by autofilling a column and export to .csv. Then use a Multiple Record data merge in Indesign to complete this task. The merge document size will be 160 labels (I'm assuming 8.5 x 11), not one individual label. However, you do want to create a frame the size of one label that will contain the variable placeholder(s). A. from screen shot will be the offset for outer margins. B. will determine the horizontal and vertical spacing between each label. My example shows a 2 x .5 label, stepped 84 times, on a 8.5 x 11 sheet, with a .25 margin.

datamerge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines