• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Fonts InDesign 2020 on macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was dumb and let my CC software update automatically and now several fonts fail to load in InDesign. Right now it's Avenir and palantino. I have tried all the basics, rolling back the software, clearing the font cache, activating and deactivating the fonts, reinstalling the fonts, reinstalling the software, etc. 

InDesign 15.0.3

Mac OSX Catalina

I contacted adobe support a few times and they are now telling me it's Apple's fault and I need to call their support and have them update their system fonts. I call BS, they were working fine before CC updated.

Adobe gave me a workaround where you open a new document and use all the fonts in it that you are going to need and keep that open while you work. This works about 30% of the time. 

Is anyone else having this issue? Adobe support is a ___  joke so I am hoping someone else has answers.

(Moderators note: This is a public forum. Please refrain from using profanity—even using *'s.)

Edit: PDFs export without a problem, but its really hard to design anything when I cant see the correct font 

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about this. We are currently investigating this issue. I would request if you could upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39577768-missing-fonts-...) and try the steps shared on this similar discussion (https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/missing-fonts-in-indesign-on-macos/m-p/11195710?page=1#M1896...).

It would be really helpful if you could also share a few sample files in comment section. It wil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jonathan Arias:  The wonderful thing about community forums is that there is always something to learn from others in the industry. What is SUPER crazy is that in the 30 years that I've been doing professional design work, I've never had font issues and I've never used an alternative font manager than the one provided through my Apple computer. I am super excited to know that there are other options that might solve this problem.  Thank you for sharing !  On the other hand, I've now re-read the entire thread and see that even with pro font managers, the font issues are still happening.  Obviously, we all have something to learn from one another and hopefully -- TOGETHER -- we will be able to resolve this problem.

I, personally, have yet to use an alternative font manager but I am def willing to try it.

Here is something else that has happened that is QUITE interesting. I found out that InDesign will indicate that a font is missing + it may even present the entire text as text that's in a different language BUT when I export the file, the exported PDF looks exactly as it's supposed to.  What on earth?!?  Weird! So, regardless of which font manager we're using ... there is definitely something going on with InDesign that hasn't ever happened before. What are the possibilities, in addition to font managers, that could be causing this issue?

For Reference Only:  Unlike Frogdrops, I have a LOT of different fonts installed. Like ... hundreds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. System fonts are giving me the currently unavailable error.  Specifically Futura Condensed Extra Bold and Futura Condensed Medium. Lots of adobe issues lately...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to the documentation https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/using-fonts.html#installing_fonts InDesign temporarily loads the fonts from the Document Fonts folder this means that either InDesign has it's own font manager or has a hook into the operating systems font management. InDesign has had this feature for years. It seems that this is having an issue in the last update of InDesign. I am having an issue with a font loading and after starting an HP plug-in for variable data the font is unloaded. I did remove the Document Fonts folder from the job and loaded the font in Suitcase Fusion this seems to have loaded the font correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines