• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing image when exporting to PDF from InDesign CS5

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started to have random images missing when exporting from ID CS5 to PDF. The advertiser provide the PDF ad. It was dropped into ID and looked the same as the supplied ad. However, when exported to a PDF the left image in the ad is missing. If I export the page as a jpeg, the ad appears correctly. Please help!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Require a PDF/X-4 as this version is the best to place into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Willi. That is something that I don't quite understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When someone delivers you a file for an ad or something else require that the file is exported according the standard of PDF/X-4. It is a file with live transparency, includes all fonts and all assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to reproduce this using InDesign 5.5. However, It does not occur with CS6, or anything newer.

Since the ad PDF you were supplied was very current (created in CC2023), there seems to be an incompatibilty when placing it in the waaaay too old 5.5. that causes an errant clip mask which is hiding the graphic (it's actually there in the resulting PDF, just "masked" in error).

Suggestions:

1. If you have a current Acrobat, open the ad and resave it as Press Ready (under File > Save As Other > Press Ready PDF). This reconforms the code, and works in my test from 5.5.

2. Failing that, you can Export the PDF as Encapsulated Postscript (yas, I know, EPS-haters), and place that. The file is simple enough, and since you are creating a PDF anyway and not printing to a non-PS printer, this should work just fine.

3. PLACE the ad in a new CMYK Illustrator document. then Flatten it (Object > Flatten Transparency > High Resolution (Convert Text to Outlines). Save the new file as .AI and place that in your 5.5. file. The only drawback here is that you will lose the hinting on the live fonts, but since you're going to high-res ouput anyway, this will not affect the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brad .... best solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michele LinkPR ,

I would open the provided PDF from the advertiser in Acrobat X and save/convert it as PDF/X-4 with a new name.

Place the converted PDF and try again. Also check in Acrobat what's the software that created the PDF under

Document Properties > Description.

As far as I can see it's exported from InDesign version 18.2.

Should work.

Did the conversion with Acrobat Pro DC and attached the converted PDF.

Try this version.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines