Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing text in tool options and dialog boxes

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have recently installed Adobe CS6, but unfortunately all but the first line of text for the tools and dialogue boxes are missing - see screenshots below. Please note this is apparent for InDesign and Photoshop so  I assume it's some system-wide problem. I only have these two apps installed at present.

I have tried replacing all the system fonts (Tahoma and Myriad; a solution given elsewhere in this forum), but this makes no difference. Has anybody got a clue what's going on?

davide69676215_1-1687446270479.png

davide69676215_2-1687446343645.png

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Hi Peter,

The problem with PS appears to be the text scaling. As I use a 4K screen, the scaling was changed the Photoshop.exe/Properties/Compatibility/Change high DPI settings, then select 'High DPI scaling override' and I chose 'Application'. I've now chosen 'System' and everything works fine.

Thanks for all your trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is almost 20 years old, and to run any CS6 application, you will need to have a computer just as old. If you are working on a newer computer, unexpected performance should be expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. However, this same computer (5 years old) ran CS6 two years ago without a problem. In fact, it originally ran CS5.5 flawlessly! So I don't believe it is the age of the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your computer specs? I had a similar issue with an older version running on a mac and a javascript update caused issues. The workaround was to downgrade javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey - can you guide me on how to "roll back" the javascript update as there doesn't seem to be a coherent (to me) solution on the 'net. It seems that I'm currently working with v1.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running mac or windows? The javascript suggestion is for mac only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeffrey, but the problem is already solved - it was caused by text scaling on a 4K monitor - see below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see you're running Windows (and CS^ runs just fine here on Win 10), so the first thing I would do is rename the Caches folder at C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 8.0\[your language]\Caches, then restart InDesign and let it regenerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, that worked for InDesign 🙂  However, I can't see a similar path to a Caches folder in Photoshop.

I've only been around computers for 41 years and I'm still learning (and forgetting!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Photoshop doesn't store anything in the Local path, but the prefs and other data are at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings

You can rename the files ending in Prefs.psp, or if that fails, the whole folder. Might be faster just to try pressing Ctrl/Alt/Shift immediately as you start Photoshop. If successful you should see a dialog asking if you want to delete the prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this didn't work. Damn. I renamed the 'Pref' files, then the entire folder, and the Ctrl/Alt/Shift method - neither made any difference. I then rootling around and found some CS5.1/5.5 legacy files so deleted those and rebooted. Again, no difference. I even used CCleaner in case there were any stragglers - again, no difference.

Is it worth reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you do that, see if there's any help in the Photoshop forum. You should also try a new test user and a clean boot to check if theres some conflict.

The big issue here on a fresh install is the lack of access to bug fixes. I ran the installers to get the CS6 applications registered in the OS, but then overwrote the program folders with backup copies of my working installs from a previous computer when I built the current system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help, I'll try these suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now here's an interesting thing - I just switched to Administrator and everything worked as it should do. I suppose I could work under that account, although it will mean a lot of reconfiguring to get everything back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

The problem with PS appears to be the text scaling. As I use a 4K screen, the scaling was changed the Photoshop.exe/Properties/Compatibility/Change high DPI settings, then select 'High DPI scaling override' and I chose 'Application'. I've now chosen 'System' and everything works fine.

Thanks for all your trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to offer what help I can for a fellow luddite (no offence intended).

Running CS6 is a real jungle trek these days and we all depend on the guidance of previous trailbalzers. Not a lot of us still running the old stuff, but this is probably the best place to search for us (and I've asked for my share of help here too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offence taken! I still fire up the pooter with coal first thing in the morning.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines