• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouse pointer lagging while working in InDesign and Illustrator on macOS High Sierra

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there
i have this always coming back issue in InDesign and Illustrator: the mouse pointer doesn´t follow the mouse movements fluidly but it is drunken dragging on the screen, like somebody would pull it from the other side and thus hindering the movement.
The only solution I know is to shut down the computer and restart everything fresh. Shutting down the single applications doesn´t work consistently.
I attached a video to show how the mouse pointer flickers, when the issue presents itself.
All my softwares are uptodate and i have a 2 years old macbook pro running High Sierra. If somebody had this probem already, I would appreciate if you would share your thought.
I tried already with deinstall/install but no success, I could try again of course
THANK YOU
Anna

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Hi Anna,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual. Please follow instructions below and share your observations:

1. Reset Preferences:

A. For InDesign: - 

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC

B. For Illustrator:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Applicatio

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual. Please follow instructions below and share your observations:

1. Reset Preferences:

A. For InDesign: - 

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC

B. For Illustrator:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign/Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and apps will recreate new folders with default settings.  

1. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the apps. 

1. If that doesn't help either, login to root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there.

If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: 

• Go to Terminal (Go Utilities Terminal.app) 
  • Execute the following command(only for InDesign) on terminal to provide permission: 
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign 
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign 
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support

1. If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a live session that way.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm hoping that the issue is resolved for you. 

If the above-mentioned solution or suggestion helped, please mark it correct.

If not, do let us know so that we can assist you further.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

So I experienced the same bug, slow laggy moving mouse and slow file in general.

After some struggling I figured out that it was only happening in one of my documents.

- I attempting to migrate my work done to a new InDesign file the bug quickly and completely [FIXED] itself upon unlocking one of the layers.

- When locking the layer again the bug returns, essentially toggling the bug on/off as I lock/unlock a certain layer.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines