• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered List Continue from Previous Skipping Numbers

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a numbered list Paragraph titled: Numbered List 1, the mode Start At  1. To be able to have this list continue numbering from 1 I duplicated the list, edited the Style Name: to Numbered List 1 Cont. and under Mode: I set it to: Continue from Previous. 

For some reason the next numbered list continues at 4, not 2. What could be causing this to happen? I have never had this issue with numbering before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd:

I think you are trying to clarify how to restart lists in document? 

I've explained two ways to restart lists on this post: one uses a manual restart for the first item of each list, then second will automatically restart, with no further work on your part. I recommend the latter option, if you have a paragraph that consistently appears between lists.  https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-restart-numbered-lists-automatically/

If you prefer to use your approach, see the two screen shots below:

Start

1.png

Continue

2.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Barb,

I am not trying to restart a numbered list, I am trying to get the numbered list that starts at 1 continue to 2, for some reason the list starts at 1 and then jumps to 4 2 pages later whne it needs to be 2.  These numbered lists are pages apart, could that be causing the jump? 

Numbered List 1 begins on page 2, then I have a lost of sub lists beneath, along with text, paragraphs and tables, then Numbered List 1 Cont. on page 4 which should begin with 2, instead it is starting at 4.

We are creating a document where we have 10+ parts (1 Title Here, 2 Title Here, 3 Title Here, Etc...) under each part are other paragraphs lists and tables. Then Part 2, etc... For some reason just the part numbered lists are not continuing consecutively, it is jumping from 1 to 4. 

Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbered List 1 begins on page 2, then I have a lost of sub lists beneath, along with text, paragraphs and tables, then Numbered List 1 Cont. on page 4 which should begin with 2, instead it is starting at 4.

So you have nested lists, and the top level isn't incrementing correctly? (Screen shots always help us help you faster.)

Is this the scenario?

1 Top Level List Item

1.  sublist item

2.  sublist item

3.  sublist item

Table 1: Table Title

Random text paragraphs

2 Top Level List Item

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again thank you for helping with this. What you wrote is very similar to what my layout looks like.

I have attached some screenshots of the text that is not changing and my numbering options in the style. Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines