• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening old Pagemaker files

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to open old Pagemaker files in any other program?  I'm using Windows 10 64 bit.  I cannot get PM6.5 to install even in compatability mode as admin.  Indesgn 2 says all my files are corrupt for some reason.  Is there a way to get Pagemaker to install on a 64bit system or something else that will open it?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 or earlier can open PageMaker files.

There is a software called 'File Magic' that purports to open PageMaker files. I can't vouch for it since I've not used File Magic myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a post that addresses this issue. I hope you find some suggestions helpful.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/pagemaker-7-0-and-windows-10/m-p/7495018#M24844

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify what version of InDesign are you using? (InDesign 2 is almost 20 years old itself so that seems suspect)

Your options are basically nil if you don't have CS6 or less. None of the CC versions do the conversion anymore.

There are some online services (your best bet is markzware: they have a conversion service and even though they don't mention PM as one of the ones they can convert, chances are they can) and "online freelancer" sites where you can find someone to convert for you for a cost.

There are also a few of us here that can convert. I'm one of them. (Although if you truly have InDesign 2 on your system, you're out of luck there).

-Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i thnk it is pretty sh*tty of adobe to say, "hey we've discontinued PM, so please use ID." and then when you have installed a older version of ID CS2, adobe says 'hey sorry you cannot activate, that version is outdated...please subscribe.' quite frankly, that is bullsh*t. i requested a link to the download of the non activation CS3 version, and was told that even though i have a valid CS2 serial number, and am a licensed (paid) user, i will not be able to use CS2 on my newly updated OS. i don't mind using 'vintage' software. the best part about it? it's paid in full. but of course we all know the business model of software companies, don't we?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A further thought... if it's InDesign CS2 you have: I had forgotten there is a known issue with any Windows version newer than XP SP2 which breaks CS2's ability to convert PM files. Since you're Win 10, you're out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might help you, I got Indesign form CS5 on my PC. Just send me the file and I'll have a try on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best thing here (if you have licensed PM and old ID version) to do virtual PC with WinXP/98 and install PageMaker and some old InDesign there.  

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines