• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Pagemaker (.p65) files

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of .p65 files that I need to open and convert to InDesign. I was able to open them a few months ago but cannot seem to be able to replicate now.

I have both CC (InDesign 2019) and CS5.5 running on Mac OS 10.14.4.

When I try to open the .p65 in CS5.5, I get an error: "The PageMaker document is damaged and cannot be recovered."

When I try to open in CC, I get this error: Cannot open the file "xxxx.p65". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

Again, I know I was able to open these docs a few months ago, but I didn't think to convert them (dumb).

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

I recall that you have to download an earlier version of InDesign (I think it was InDesign CS6) from the Creative Cloud Desktop app to open Pagemaker documents.

Ah, yes, there's a Help file which confirms that:

Can't Open Pagemaker files in InDesign CC solution

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I hope you are still able to help someone out? I just found an old Pagemaker file for my early artistic work close to 20 years ago.  It's a cd sized booklet and I was wondering if your offer of converting was still open.  I would be grateful.   Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I no longer have a machine that supports CS6 unfortuately, so I can't help, but I hope you find someone else to help you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow me the audacity to also ask for help. In a minority language project, we need to restore the data of an excellent dictionary that are burried in a bunch of .pmd files, 13 to be exact. Could any body help converting this into InDesign format? Please PM me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a user of PageMaker 6.5 for many years and was disappointed when it would not load on my new Windows 10 computer. I did stumble upon a potential work around.
On my Windows 10 computer, I was looking through a hard drive from an old computer (running windows 98) which was able to run PageMaker 6.5. Of course this hard drive had the operating system from the old computer since I had simply pulled the hard drive from the unit. Out of curiosity I double clicked on the PM65.EXE file. Much to my surprise, PageMaker 6.5 started. I reloaded PageMaker onto an old Windows XP laptop to have a more current operating system and smaller cleaner hard drive. I then cloned the hard drive of the laptop to a USB flash drive. I can now insert the USB drive into my Windows 10 computer and start PageMaker 6.5 from the flash drive. I did have to rename the "PM65.CNF" file to "PM65old.CNF" and let the program recreate the file in order to be able to save defaults. I haven't use it to extensively yet and I am sure I can probably streamline it to some extent. Some more experienced computer users can probably offer more improvements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines