Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

override master item - bug?

Engaged ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have three master(double)pages. The first one is the base for the secondone and the third one. On MP2 I want to delete only one item I don´t need (a section mark) on the left page:

there are NO locked or hidden layers.

I clicked on "override masterpage items"

there are NO locked objects on that page

Nevertheless, I can not select and delete the object on MP2

Could it be a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. As long as you're not on the latest CC2018 (just couldn't test it). In all other versions things definitely are as expected: you must be on MP2 in order to override master page item inherited from MP1 and be able to edit/delete it. Just check your steps again, one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked it several times. Also I deactivated the levels one by one and come to the conclusion the item is on the layer "head", theoretical. But if I take a look in that layers-pallette, there is nothing! It´s crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That's exactly what should happen if rob day's suggestion is correct. Did you check it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are NO locked or hidden layers.

I clicked on "override masterpage items"

there are NO locked objects on that page

Nevertheless, I can not select and delete the object on MP2

You can also prevent a masterpage item from being overridden via unchecking Pages>Master Pages>Allow Master Page Overrides on Selection. Make sure that is not checked for any of the objects on MP1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you gave me the hint I checked it, without positive results. And the other items are editable, moveable... only that text-box ist unwilling

Now I have 4 days off, so I cannot check anything, because I left that problem in the bureau...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the bottom line:

1. You have parent Master A, and two child masters B and C, both based on A.

2. You have inserted Section Mark on parent Master A, it appears on B and C as expected, and now you want to remove it from B.

3. You're not able to override it being on Master B via Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+click neither choosing Override All Master Page Items in the Pages panel menu.

4. However, you're able to select that text frame with Section Mark being on parent Master A, and you double-checked Allow Master Item Overrides On Selection is selected in the Pages panel menu for that item.

If you believe everything above is true, my suggestion is to create brand new doc and repeat here all these steps. That said, are you able to replicate your issue yourself? If no, go back to original file and look for discrepancies. If yes, I dunno... Folks here so often advise to clean up Cashes folder and/or trash Preferences... it's annoying to say this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, after restarted my pc, it suddenly works.

I think it was a bug...

however,

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I was a little bit too fast...

After deleted overridden text on B there was the same text among it,!! Although on MP A there is only one Text-frame. And this second text is not changeble.   And there is not only one, but many text-frames there. I tried to delete them one by one (CTRL+SHIFT+click  --> delete) but it doesn´t end! As if the objects would multiply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I resolved it for me with giving only the third master-page (C) a section mark. Then used this only on my main-pages and the second MP (B) only on the chapter-pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines