Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pack Links as pngs

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

How do I pack all my images & graphics from my file as pngs? 
I would like them to be exported in their frame, not the whole image.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the links present or broken?

Have you tried selecting the image frame and then copy/pasting into Photoshop?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I pack all my images & graphics from my file as pngs? 

Do you mean "package"? As in File > Package? If that's the question, then no. Package doesn't have the ability to change file formats.

InDesign is a page layout program and doesn't offer us the option to modify graphic formats anywhere. As Mike said, Photoshop can change image file formats. Also, a frame is used to set display edges of a placed graphic in InDesign but it doesn't crop it. You'll have to do that in Photoshop, too.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select a single linked image and go to File -> Export, you can choose .PNG as a filetype to export. That spawns a dialog that allows you to pick resolution, color space, and whether you're exporting just the selection, a page range, or the entire document. If you choose "Selection" then it exports only the image that is visible in the frame.

You'd get better results if you just opened the source image in Photoshop, of course... cropped to match the frame in InDesign, and exported at your desired resolution. I don't have a lot of faith in the quality of PNGs exported from ID. InDesign is not, as Barb points out above, really fit to purpose for this task.

If you're looking at a very large number of images, all in the same colorspace, it might be worth it to whomp up some Javascript that loops through all of the placed images in the document and exports each Selection to PNG with hardcoded resolution and RGB colorspace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Honestly Joel, I completely overlooked that selection allows you to export just the image. I've only used it to export a page. And it crops it to the frame window. So other than no, you can't do with with File > Package, disregard the rest of my first answer, @Fabienne29091649x7ss

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines