• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Package. . . Cannot copy necessary linked file(s)

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a publication based on a previous one. It's in a new folder with the default [fonts] and [lins] subfolders. Preflight shows no linking errors. Since there are numerous unused graphics in the link folder (from the old version), I wish to create a new package before sending to production. I get the above error with no explanation. How do I do this without manually copying every link (70) and font (46)?

This is CS3 on Vista Home Premium.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 20, 2011 Aug 20, 2011

I had a image file with a forward slash ("/") in the name that was causing the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received the same error message and have read a dozen threads to find out how to solve the problem. I'm using MacOSX 10.10.3 and InDesign CS6.

I'm currently working on two annual advertising projects that I update once year for over 20 years. Never seen this message before. I've tried all the fixes that have been suggested.

In the one project, I removed all the new elements and then packaged it (advertising flyer). It worked! Then I added each new element one at a time. Each time it worked. Until the final one which had the same font, logos and photo elements as the first time it gave me the error message. This time it worked!  What's going on here?

I'm trying to do the same with the second advertising flyer, but it has many more new elements which will take me longer to package it over and over.

Both of these design projects are done in InDesign CS6. For years I used OSX10.6.8 and never had this problem. Then I upgraded to 10.10.3 a few months ago. Could this be the source of the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solve the problem erasing the links that was outside de artboard page.

Or, trying export groups of links until find the wrong one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried to find link files with "/" but can't find any, turns out its the file path gets too long. try resave the indesign file to another location with less folder hiarachy/ shorter names might help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue with CC- no missing links or special characters in file names. I turned off "include PDF(Print)" in the Save As dialogue box and it worked after that. Might help someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CJaegle, are you saving the PDF locally, or to a server or other attached volume?

Sometimes it takes a while to write the PDF for larger ID files. If there's a slight hiccup in the server's acknowledge/response to the system, the writing of the file fails. We've experienced this even with single page PDFs. Writing them locally, as part of the package, typically works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue was I dragged and dropped an image straight from Mail onto the spread and while packaging it up MacOS was denying the access to the system folder where attachments are stored. After manually copying the picture to 'regular' folder everything worked fine. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines