• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbering

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC: Master pages accept page-numbering symbol (A) on right-hand page, but only "1.A" on left-hand page. Correct page number appears on right-hand pages of spread, but "1.A" appears on every left-hand page.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hugh,

If it says 1.A on all the left pages, then that's what you typed. Instead, you need to put the code for page numbering.

• Type menu
  • Insert Special Character
  • Markers
  • Current page number

It will show an "A" if the Master Page has a code for A. You can put in up to 4 characters in the code in Options for the Master Page. But you have to use the code. You can't type an A.

What is the 1 in front of the A? Is that for Chapters? Or is it extraneous?

Best,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies.

I used Jeff Witchel's method: copying the text box with "A" in it from the right-hand page to the left-hand page then left-aligning it. Now it works correctly in the document.

Re Jane-e's question "What is the 1 in front of the A? Is that for Chapters? Or is it extraneous?" the answer is I don't know! I did not type a 1 either on the left page or the right page. I assume it is something to do with Chapters, but I do not have chapters and don't want chapters.

The whole business of page numbering in InDesign is not at all easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff is one of the great InDesign gurus, but I would say that inserting automatic page numbering in InDesign is fairly straight forward and easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really no need to be a "guru" when the problem could just be an auto-numbering badly applied, here, on the left page!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek! Looking forward to meeting you at CreativePro Week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the 1. is extraneous and/or you simply don't want it, you can safely delete it!

The thing to remember is you need a code to number pages and can't just type an "A" or a "1".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all again. The 1. was extraneous – i.e. I never typed it: it just appeared – but if I tried to delete the A it deleted the 1. as well.

I think what I was doing wrong was simply typing A in a text box on the Master Page without doing it through Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number.

This I have now learnt with all your help. Thank you again. Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! … but apparently, you have learned nothing here!

Make disappear a problem as Jeff Witchell does doesn't tell you why this problem is!

You say: I've simply typed "A" …

Maybe someone could tell us how this "A" could become "1.A" and how the "1." could disappear if "A" is removed!

THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION?

… And its only answer will help you!

Best,

Michel from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

I bet if Hugh started from scratch with a new Text Frame and with the Type tool selected, went to Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number, it would work perfectly.

Best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

"… it would work perfectly."

Definitely not! …

I could post an ID doc. here where each time you create a new text frame and type inside it "A" [as current page number or anything else! …], you would get: "1.A"… and when you remove "A" [or …], the "1." would disappear!

When an user does something … by error or without having a satisfying explanation about its result, tell him why is, imho, really more helpful than "mettre le problème sous le tapis pour le faire disparaître!" [in French]

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he has numbering formatting applied to the Frame, it could have this result. That's why I told Hugh to create a new frame.

Just a quick question Michel. Are you interested in helping people or finding issues with other people's answers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick question too, Jeff. Are you interested in helping people, just not trying to find the true reason of their problem and explain it to them?

Personally not me! … and Yes! Your first post doesn't satisfy me because you didn't really explain why Hugh has a problem!

… And I think it's the most important point here! … If Hugh doesn't know why, his problem will surely appear again! …

Are not you ... an expert a little curious to know? 

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a volunteer answering questions for Adobe, I see my job here as someone who solves people's problems. How they got there in the first place is secondary. I'm not a mindreader, just an Adobe Certified Instructor.

If you look above at my previous answer (13), I think you'll see that I explained how Hugh possibly got to where he was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff,

You just confirm what I previously indicated in my posts 6 and 10, as possible explanation! …

But I'm truly very surprised to read that, for you, "how they got there in the first place is secondary …"!

I'm not myself an "ACI", an "ACP", a trainer or "one of the great InDesign gurus"!

Just a simple InDesign user interested by a problem encountered by someone else!

Nothing more! Have a good day!

[end of story]

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the text frame from your left-hand page and paste it on your right-hand page. Position the frame where you want. And it will work. Typing an A on a Master Page will give you that same A on your document pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines