• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbers do not follow up

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I created a parent page with a pagenumber which I conneted to all my pages in my document. Now, in every page a pagenumber is visible but they don't follow up.

This is what is shown:

Page 2 is correct and shows number 2.
Page 3 also shows number 2
Page 4 shows number 1

Page 5 shows number 2

Page 6 shows number 2

Page 7 shows number 3 and from here it counts up until 12 in the right way
Page 8 shows number 12 again.

In short, it's a mess throughout the whole document with the page numbers. I tried to set the pagenumbering automatic and also staring at page 2, but both option don't make a difference. What can I do so the numbers will follow up from page 2 until the end?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes, Anouk

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd need to see the Pages Panel to be sure, but it sounds like either a problem with section starts or some of the page numbers you see are not generated by a current page marker on your Parent page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like to have a look in my document? Bu zoom? Or that I send it too you? I would be really greatful with some help in this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you put a page number marker (Type > Insert Special Characters > Marker > Current Page Number) on the parent page for each of your document pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I did. I made one parent page with a (Type > Insert Special Characters > Marker > Current Page Number). And after this I applied this setting to all the pages in the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file so we could see what's happening? You could post it on a cloud service and send a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you can download it now and see it internally. Thanks Steve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the file and look at the page numbers on the pages, they all match the page numbers of those pages!

I think you should try restoring your preferences, it may be as simple as that:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier had the correct answer - you have a bunch of Section Starts on your beginning pages that are forcing those non-consistent page numbers. Right-click on the small grey triangle above those pages in the Pages panel, and choose Delete Section. (Your document also starts with a Page 2 because of this) 

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 8.31.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-07 at 8.35.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I don't see these little triangles on my page. I will add a picture of how it looks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see them in your photo 

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 8.52.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! It works!!!!!!! I am so happy! Thanks a million! Have a good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines