Exit

Paragraph style error in one entry of TOC

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Body text.JPG

TOC error.JPG

I have the same Para Style applied on all Chapter Number lines in text. And a different style for the Chapter title. When I generate the TOC this one entry ends up in a different style. I have tried removing and retyping, tried paste without format, and all day with zero success.

It is as if the two styles become one when making the TOC, but I purposely made two different styles. I the first is not included in the TOC, the second has a numbered list as part of its TOC entry style with prefix of "Chapter"

The TOC entry style shows as correct when I check it in the TOC creation section. There are no character styles applied to either line in the body text. I hope someone has seen this before. I'm almost ready to give up.

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Guide , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Your Chapter Title 11 "One Stayed in Canada" has a character style applied "Chapter 18/24" (why?) and your problematic chapter title 12 "Rodney and Ivan Together" has not character style applied.

That's the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Thank you for sharing the file with us, @muskoka lake. If you want to remove it from dropbox now, you safely do so.  Or if you prefer, we can remove the link from your post to protect your privacy. Just let us know.

I agree with @vladan saveljic—it was a character style, as I suspected in my very first answer, just on the other paragraphs, and not the one you were asking about. I generated a TOC with just the two titles you provided, and they are coming out the same now. 

As a general rule,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Thank you Barb Binder and @vladan saveljic. 

That was an instant fix. I actually changed them all to be none for Character style. So in the TOC they are now bold. I think it makes the overall page more readable to have some headings bold and some not. I hope there is no convention against that!

I am so grateful for the persisence and patience of Forum members. Sorry it took me so long to get Dropbox organized, the trials of low bandwidth in the country over a DSL dryloop.

Thank you everyone, my day

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will go to town tomorrow and install Dropbox in order to share files better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a Chapter title Paragraph style. then I changed the chapter pages to have a master with a text box lower down and created a new style that worked in that box. I have not been good at tidying up my workspace, so I have all the styles I have ever tried still in there. Very messy but ....

I will send a file to Dropbox tomorrow when I get it organized. Here is the TOC page.TOC update.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I did it! Here is my first attempt at using Dropbox.

(link removed for privacy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the file with us, @muskoka lake. If you want to remove it from dropbox now, you safely do so.  Or if you prefer, we can remove the link from your post to protect your privacy. Just let us know.

I agree with @vladan saveljic—it was a character style, as I suspected in my very first answer, just on the other paragraphs, and not the one you were asking about. I generated a TOC with just the two titles you provided, and they are coming out the same now. 

As a general rule, we use paragraph styles to format an entire paragraph, and character styles to format selected words within the paragraph. We don't normally apply a character style to an entire paragraph. 

On that note, take a look at the chapter numbers—chapter 11 and chapter 12. Chapter 11 still has a character style applied to the whole paragraph so they are not using the same format as each other. Just a heads up. This doesn't impact the TOC, but it does impact the body pages. 

style.gif

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb Binder and @vladan saveljic. 

That was an instant fix. I actually changed them all to be none for Character style. So in the TOC they are now bold. I think it makes the overall page more readable to have some headings bold and some not. I hope there is no convention against that!

I am so grateful for the persisence and patience of Forum members. Sorry it took me so long to get Dropbox organized, the trials of low bandwidth in the country over a DSL dryloop.

Thank you everyone, my day just got 1005 better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are always happy to help, @muskoka lake.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks of course to mark as "Correct Answer" my first post at the beginning of this thread!

(^/)  [LOL]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines