• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Comments not aligning

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying out the new InDesign Import PDF Comments feature.

This is a great new feature. However some of the edits are not aligning properly in the text.

For example, a comment to insert a  sentence at the end of a paragraph actually inserts it at the end of the previous sentence, but before the end period. So now I have a sentence within a sentence.

Another comment involved adding a space after a period where there was none. But the edit actually placed the space a couple characters to the right.

Could this be a font compatibility issue? All fonts are loaded, and production PDFs have been generated from similar files before.

And the comments were displaying as importing successfully. No edits were made to the InDesign file before importing the comments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Hi Dave,

this could be a bug, I think.

Provide a sample of your document, also some screenshots and report it here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were any changes made to the InDesign file from which the PDF was created (used for commenting on in Reader or Acrobat) after PDF creation? You're specifically warned not to do that because InDesign can lose track of the location of the comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me use this as an excuse to say that I love this functionality. But it often is the case that a file will be modified and then another PDF comes in with corrections by another reviewer, which renders the import moot.

Maybe you could look at stuff like Wrike or even GoProof showing how a nicely integrated collaborative client approval would be possible that goes way beyond this, but could profit from Adobe integration. Indesign - PDF via Publish online  - a nice approval workflow online - the PDF-edits appear roundtrip in Indesign - update - the clients see a new iteration and so on. It could be marvelous and would make the CC rent model SO much better. Also - Copy editing in the browser, as GoProof offers, is quite nice and would be a great add-on for CC. Actually, it would make «Document / Creative Cloud» really shine ;-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, thanks for the reply.

No, I didn't make any other edits to the InDesign file. I specifically made the PDF comments to test this feature, and immediately loaded it back into the InDesign file to test.

I even tried it again, and had the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

this could be a bug, I think.

Provide a sample of your document, also some screenshots and report it here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

As suggested by Uwe, please report a bug with your document.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm excited about this new feature in ID CC.

It would help me a lot in my work.

Unfortunately I have similar issues with it.

The sticky notes that come from the pdf comments appear misplaced and very large in the ID document.

It's impossible to correctly locate them without seeing the original place of the comment in the pdf.

The InDesign file was not edited after the pdf export.

I searched in the preferences, but did not find any way of at least reducing the sticky notes size in ID CC.

In the trailer video the sticky notes are in perfect size, but it shows InDesign CC for MacOS. I'm working on Windows 10 PC.

Please advice is it a problem of the OS or there is a preference to control it.

I could upload some screenshots.

Thank You

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi krasious ,

there is no way to control the size of the widgets.

They are always the same.

Do a feature modification request here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Come back and post the link of your request so that we can vote for the modification.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi krasious ,

That isn't the way to properly edit a PDF. If annotations are made using the delete, replace or insert text tools in Acrobat, they are captured and allowed to be "accepted". I've had to train many on how to use the proper tools in Acrobat - the sticky note can move in Acrobat based on magnification, we've always used it as a callout "not the right image, move this page after page 4, etc.)

Side note, you can "accept" the comments, but they do not recognize bolding or italicizing in the comment. Also, replies to comment show up, but are not available to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do:

View or not view all comments in the layout.

ViewCommentsInLayout-1.PNG

ViewCommentsInLayout-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating this thread because this issue persists in May 2024, almost 6 years after this post was made. In the screenshot below I've provided an example that I just experienced.

An editor just sent me a PDF with comments (she uses Adobe Reader 2024.002.20736) that I imported to InDesign (19.4). We both run macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. This example is just one of many mistakes that happened when I imported the comments. Apparently InDesign makes most of the mistakes when a correction was made in a text frame that is not part of the general text flow, but the error is not exclusively happening this way as can be seen below. Also, the erroneous mapping seems to mostly, or only, happen with strikeouts. As you can see in on the right, the editor wanted the "b)" to be struck out, but InDesign mapped the correction to the "a" in the word "relatively" further down on the page (see left part of the screenshot):

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 14.27.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Ruben Solér,

Sorry for the delay in response. A few more details would be super helpful.

Is it happening with this specific document or all documents?
Have you noticed the issue with a new file?
Could you try the same in a new file and share the results with us?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines