Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF export is clean printed file has white around transparent images

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an issue where the indesign file and the pdf file are clean and look great.  When I send to the printer some of the images have white blotches around them.  I have shared 2 different places where this is happening.  Some of the images are from the printer so they are not great but you can see the white bloches.  I am not a graphic designer and have been using the program and learning as I go.  Any help would be appreciated as I am looking to get this printed. Thanks

astoryof355226334rsd_0-1718415480432.png

astoryof355226334rsd_1-1718415515623.pngastoryof355226334rsd_2-1718415556051.png

astoryof355226334rsd_3-1718415582263.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign , is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help with this.  I am a new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no problem. now, an id expert can weigh in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @astoryof355226334rsd , can you share the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Here is the file.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some strange shapes on a couple of pages, you should be able to track them down in InDesign.
I suggest you offset the crop marks a little and in fact ask your printer if they want them, some don't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some strange shapes on a couple of pages

Hi Derek, I think the problem is the fringing where the gray CMYK background, (which is 0|0|0|60, black only), transitions into the 4-color black (sRGB). The artifact is not in the PDF and is being introduced by the printer:

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when I look at the pdf and the indesign file, it's clean.  Could it be how I'm exporting it?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem only showing on the pages where you are placing the transparent RGB illustrations on an InDesign gray background? Are the pages where the InDesign background is a color and not gray OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the backgrounds are grey of a different variety, no coloured background.  I printed it on my black and white printer and it doesn't show up.  The version that the printer sent me, the coloured images have it as well.

astoryof355226334rsd_1-1718479474086.png

astoryof355226334rsd_2-1718479493684.pngastoryof355226334rsd_3-1718479534455.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the printing method? Is the problem print a proof from a composite printer? Is the final print going to be done on an offset press?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if it is a proof from your printer, are you printing from the InDesign file or the exported PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a proof from the printer.  They are printing from the exported pdf.  

this is the 3rd edition of this and the settings (according to the printer) are the same as the first 2 batches.  Same printer, same paper, same settings.  

I don't know if it's an offset press.  The printers words were.  Same everything, that this is a problem from my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same everything, that this is a problem from my end.

There are no artifacts in the PDF—this is what I get when I print your PDF:

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have access to an in-house printer that you can use to proof the PDF you are sending?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can print here in black and white.

So if it prints the same here then what is the problem?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if it prints the same here then what is the problem?

I don’t see how it could, the print artifacts are not in the file. If you check the Separations in AcrobatPro there are no unexpected changes in the output values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what that means.  Can you tell me where to find this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AcrobatPro Tools>Print Production>Output Preview>Separations:

Screen Shot 3.pngScreen Shot 4.pngScreen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you.  So should these all be consistant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the output preview and the separations and can't seem to duplicate the process black spot where it's not selected. (in your middle example)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(in your middle example)

I’ve unchecked the Black plate, so only the CMY separations are viewing.

Note that the image grays are RGB so they separate to 4-color, while the InDesign gray is CMYK black only. You might try making the grays uniformly 4-color—use an RGB gray with equal RGB values in InDesign for the backgrounds. Seems like the print artifacts are happening in the black only CMYK backgrounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines