• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Hyperlinks Problem InDesign 2019 (version 14.0.2)

Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF  Hyperlinks Problem   I am  70 % through a task   making an authors index   for a collection of  magazines   I am trying  to make  a file for each  letter of the alphabet   where   each author  is  listed  linking  to  every article they have written in the collection  up to now everything seems to be going fine   But we had  some adobe updates yesterday  to InDesign 2019 (version 14.0.2)

Basically, each file i have made now seems not to work.   In Acrobat I get a message saying cannot open  "File name xxx.pdf "   which is the correct file name.  I have looked at the Link Properties  Dialogue box in Acrobat in both working and non-working files below are the differences.

Non Working  file

Actions 

Go to a page in  another document

File:    ( this pace is just empty)

Page :1

Zoom level: Inherit

When I go  to a  file which does  work ie pre  the upgrade  the  info is

Actions 

Go to a page in  another document

File: xxx/xx/xxx/named.pdf

Page :1

Zoom level: Inherit

Strange that acrobat  knows exactly  which document it can't open,  the information must be still in the file

Some of the links in the new files are just straight copies from the older files,  the links linking the alphabetical pages together.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is not clear from your post, what action did you perform after update of InDesign. If all PDF files having links to other PDF files have been exported before update? If not then what is done after update?

Was there any update happened for Acrobat as well?

Can you please try re-exporting parent PDF file having links to other PDF files, does it work?

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul   I   Did a variety  of tests  Some pages  only had  links  created  in 14.0.2 Some  pages  had  links created   in both  the previous version and 14.0.2

All links  failed  when exporting via  14.0.2  using  the interactive  pdf export  option

I have downgraded to the previous version and all links whether they were created in  14.0.2 or not work perfectly so  I have to assume that it's something to do with the export feature of   14.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it happening with any file, so if you create a new document and add a hyperlink to PDF file in it. Export it to interactive PDF, issue is there in this PDF as well?

Or is it document specific, if it is so, please send your document to ansjain@adobe.com.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Anshul, Yes  before I posted I tried  making  new documents   new links    adding old  links    the issues seems to be  with the export process  When I downgraded   all the different files  test files  all exported correctly 

I intend to complete this project before upgrading again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graemezee1 ,

could you share a small sample where you see the issue?

Best upload an InDesign document with the not working PDF to your Dropbox account or a similar service and post the link.

Thank you,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes Graemezee1 as Laubender said, a sample document would help us in reproducing the issue at our end.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Hyperlinks Panel in InDesign (Window>Interactive>Hyperlinks) and make sure that there is a green dot next to the name of all of the hyperlinks that you have created. Any entries that have a red dot next to them are broken and will need to be redone in the InDesign file.

Also, just to be clear, we are talking about hyperlinks created through the panel I just mentioned and not buttons created through the Buttons and Forms panel. Hyperlinks will work in a print pdf or an interactive pdf but buttons need an interactive pdf in order to work.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: If exporting a Hyperlink for a print pdf make sure that "Hyperlinks" is checked in the Export Adobe PDF dialog window that pops up during the creation of the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  the links  Created are hyperlinks  Not buttons    and are all Correct  in the hyperlinks panel  This issue arises with exporting  as  some links were created  in the previous version and some in the new version   None of the links work when exported  from  14.0.2

I Have spent the best part of a day rebuilding and testing links 

I have  downgraded to the previous version and  all the links export  perfectly   so in my  humble opinion   its  a bug with 14.0.2

I have been building interactive pdfs  for the past 20 years  be that  just  in  Acrobat  and  more lately  in InDesign, The Previous version was  build  using  hand  programmed  JS  as  drop-down menus   But  I  don't think they  work in  Tablets  so I am reverting to hyperlinks 

Apologies if I was not clear in my original post   Yes the links worked perfectly in the previous version of InDesign but not in 14.0.2 I put the code from within Acrobat to show the difference in the links when exported from both versions. sorry, this was not clear.

Downgrading made all the links work that were created in  14.0.2   work perfectly so I assume its only in the export process that there is an issue.  

I am exporting via interactive pdf 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I am at work right now and only have 14.0.1 so I can't test this out. However, if you think that it is a bug you can report it to Adobe InDesign Feedback .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines