• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pdfs not cropping properly in InDesign

Participant ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf placed in a box and cropped. Then I placed that box into another box because I want a border but not as tight in as the first cropping box.

Everything looks fine on screen in InDesign.

When I make a pdf of that page - I can see parts of the pdf outside of both of the boxes. 

A bug in InDesign? Is there a way to fix this?

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

FYI it doesn't matter if I have the box in another box - I took them out and it was the same. 

So just imagine - I import a pdf, it looks fine in Indesign but when I make a pdf, that imported pdf is showing outside of the frame that it is in. 

However, I did solve it. The original pdfs were make by crappy MS Word. I resaved them with Acrobat as "Press Ready" and having Acrobat rewrite the crappy MS Word pdf fixed it.

Queue Bob to yell at me..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide screen captures of the InDesign layout, and of the PDF. It would also help to provide your system infommation: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI it doesn't matter if I have the box in another box - I took them out and it was the same. 

So just imagine - I import a pdf, it looks fine in Indesign but when I make a pdf, that imported pdf is showing outside of the frame that it is in. 

However, I did solve it. The original pdfs were make by crappy MS Word. I resaved them with Acrobat as "Press Ready" and having Acrobat rewrite the crappy MS Word pdf fixed it.

Queue Bob to yell at me..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically if a file format is not working as expected then remaking it is much better than working with files that are not working the way you expect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't remake the original pdfs that were made in MS Word. I just re-saved them with Acrobat and then updated them in InDesign. Then I made a new pdf of my InDesign file and it worked this time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you have remade them - by using a different profile - as you said - Press Ready - that is called 'refrying' the pdf. 

https://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/refrying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I thought you meant that I remade them from scratch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to crop a pdf but the "crop pages" function does not work any more. I cannot start afresh due to the complicated fields in the form. I would like to return to Adobe Pro X instead of the "up to date" Adobe Pro DC. Or find another product either inside or outside Adobe as I NEED TO GET MY WORK DONE. I see from other messages that we can no longer use "crop pages" and with no one getting help from well-meaning staff, I fear it is hopeless.  Here is my process in Adobe Pro DC which should be as easy as pie: All Tools - Organize - Right click on a page - Crop pages - Change page size - Select letter - Change all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the InDesign forum, where you might get a little feedback but not as much or as focused as if you (re)post this in the Acrobat forum.

I don't think I've had any problem with cropping pages in Acrobat DC, for what it's worth.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines