• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing linked file with written path to its location

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible in InDesign to place a file using text path to its location?

For example – instead of using Place command / CTRL+D windows shortcut / drag & drop to place a file, you type a location path (C:\Users\user\Folder 1\Folder 2\File.pdf) in a text box or in a table cell and run a script to locate it and place it as a linked file. Also, it would be helpful if the linked file is updated after the file name or even the location is changed – instead of “…Folder 2\File.pdf”, now I would like to place “…Folder 2\File_new.pdf

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

You can try this script:

Place images

And for your second request, I second Grant... not possible imho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can always search for the file using the search field from the CMD D (place)  :

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.39.08.jpg

I dont think a script will help you with your second question as the file/folder and assest will need to be constantly watched and a data base automatically changed. If you rename a file the computer will see at as a new file not a version of "filename_original" you will have to relink or create a database and datamerge all the images. if the images are renamed or moved then you will need to update the csv accordingly and run again.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this script:

Place images

And for your second request, I second Grant... not possible imho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Vinny!

This script was almost exactly what I was looking for. The only problem is that it changes the text box to image frame which means that if the @filename.pdf@ was located in one of the table cells the script deletes the whole table when an image is placed. With the help of our programmer, I managed to solve that with minor adjustment. Now it works perfectly as it places an image with its own frame within the text box or table cell. For this adjustment just need to replace the row 32 with the one below

.var myFrame = myFoundItems; //.parentTextFrames[0];

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines