Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pls help me for this small problem!

Guide ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we are using a file with more than 40 para styles. Yesterday i include 4 GREP codes in all paras. Now the working for the file gets extremely slow. Is it the impact of GREP?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a small problem, it's a big problem! As you discovered, if you use a lot of GREP styles, the document becomes sluggish. This was reported as a bug several times, but so far it's not been solved (though it did get a bit better in CS5).

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I am using 4 GREP codes which to avoid orphan. How can i eliminate that sluggish problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way is to run that GREP from the Find/Change dialog. But in your case, why don't you set "orphan" in the keeps dialog? That way you avoid the GREp style. Or do you mean something else by "orphan"?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

In my job work flow, there is 3 character at end of para is called orphan. In that case we give tracking or try to bring the above word. So i decided to give GREP coding. This codes find wherever the 3 character in a para then it applies NO BREAK character style. If we are adding or deleting in a para(in future), the GREP codes automatically detects how many character at end of para and it will be automaticallly fixed. Thats why i used 4 GREP codes.

I don't understand why you mean the keeps dialog. It will keep only lines not characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned the Keeps dialog because "orphans" is usually used to refer to single lines at the foot or top of a page.

As to your GREP style, the only way to avoid a sluggish document is not to use that GREP style. Sounds inane, but that's the way it is. But you can run that GREP expression from the Find/Change dialog, can't you? That solves your problem. I use GREP styles to do formatting that would be time-consuming to do manually, such as doing syntax-highlighting in a book on JavaScript. Relatively simple things like keeping some characters together at the end of paragraphs I would do in the F/C dialog. (I wouldn't do that at all, but that's not the issue.)

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your valuable points. I agree that GREP in para style will slow down the document. Now i tried to do the same thing in find and change. I have 4 GREP codes, so can you pls give script for this one. 4 GREP style find and should aplly the defined character style. Is it possible to give it today itself?

I tried with Findchangebylist.jsx from adobe, its not working what i am desired.

Thanks,

karthi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines