• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print to PDF option gone

Explorer ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Print Booklet quite a bit and have always been able to choose to print as a PDF. Since the update it appears this option is gone? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

I went in and re-added acrobat as a printer and that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export to PDF and then print from there - it has a booklet feature too.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/acrobat/kb/print-booklets-acrobat-reader.html

Print to  PDF should still be in InDesign - but I think it's better to export to PDF first anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone. I have struggled with this all week in trying to print pdfs to a catalog. I am having the exact same problem.  The export option is not as crisp. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Windows version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'print to PDF' function is almost wholly inferior to a proper export. However, export does have more options and more settings; it sounds as if you have chosen a low-quality export option ("Smallest file size"?) instead of "High Quality Print" or the one that should be used for nearly all printing output, "Press Quality."

There are also choices of preset standards that conform to industry requirements, and choosing the wrong one of those might produce results you don't expect.

Try your export again and make sure "Press Quality" is selected as the option.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculously you can't export to pdf as booklet, only print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculously you can't export to pdf as booklet, only print.

Hi @Chiefs420 , A commercial printer would want to handle the imposition at their output, so I don’t think you will ever see imposition as an InDesign Export feature.

InDesign’s Print Booklet does have some advantages over Acrobat’s limited Booklet printing—you can do perfect binding, set Creep, set a space between pages etc.

If you are doing your own printing and not sending the PDF out to a commercial printer, you can try this imposition script, which imitates Print Booklet’s features, but Exports the PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2wjwe13fsrw9iszebo15e/h?rlkey=nwt5o3uex31fgra7oj15qvs7z&dl=0

The dialog:

Screen Shot 31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it is called "PRINT booklet" and it is not and never has been intended as a replacement for professional imposition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went in and re-added acrobat as a printer and that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it restored a quickie option designed for tools like Word and the thousands of apps that have no PDF export. It's an option best left to those second-tier apps; InDesign has a powerful PDF export option built in for very good reasons.

As for booklet printing, the preferred method is to (ahem) export to PDF and let Acrobat's much more powerful and capable booklet printing option take it from there.

But you're of course welcome to use the processes developed for office-grade work if they suit you better. More or less makes using InDesign at all a moot point, IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed my was gone. I was wondering if it had something to do with the "new and improved" Adobe Acrobat interface. I switched back to the previous interface and repaired the Acrobat installation (under the Help menu). It came back. 

When I get time to test it, I'm going to switch back to the new interface and see if it disappears again.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's here on my system, with the New Acrobat interface active. I rarely do anything to system setup but let the CC manager update things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new acrobat is painful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines