Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem packaging for printing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings to all

I have a book originally laid out in PageMaker, I converted it to Indesing with version CS6 and then I fixed it with Indesign 17.4x64 and it was ready to print, until then I thought everything was fine. When I package it to send it to the printer, the warning appears:

Colors and inks

4 process ink(s): 2 spot ink(s)
This document contains 2 Duplicate spot inks
CMS is disabled

I have not manipulated any of the elements mentioned because I do not know what it is about.
Can someone help me remove it?
Thanks for your attention

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the files there's no way for us to know where those colors are coming from.

Why aren't you sending a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @valentinf43688202 , Is the book printing via offset with extra plates for custom solid inks (Spot colors)?  Unless you intend to print extra color separations find the Spot colors in your Swatches panel and set their Color Type to Process. CMS off is referring to your Color Settings, with CMS turned off your color previews and any color conversion you make would be unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a pretty common issue with conversion from PageMaker.

Back "in the day" there were a couple of differing swatch libraries for Pantone colours in particular (CV vs CVC vs C, etc), and it was pretty common to have assets (liked a placed logo file that maybe you got from a diffrent client) that used one set while your PageMaker itself used another. This wasn't such a big deal back in the day as there were ways to deal with it, plus, if your were printing to process CMYK it didn't matter anyway. Swatch colours were based on CMYK values back then, unlike the colour-manged Lab values today.

Converting to InDesign it will see all the colours that were used in the PM file whether they were used or not. and even though Pantone Green CV is technically the same as Pantone Green CVC, ID sees each as Pantone Green despite the suffix, but still plays it safe and adds them as duplicates.

Stlil, if they aren't used it doesn't matter. When you Package, ID will list what Spot Colours are actually in use.

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 2.09.17 PM.png

If you only see a list of the process colours, then NO spot colours are in use, despite being in your swatches. Also, again, if you are intending to print these all to process, it really doesn't matter in the end, as long as you tell your printer supplier that all spots are to be converted.

That being said, it would be nice now that you've converted the file to "clean it up" a little.

Easiest way to clean up your swatches is to go your Swatches panel, and pull down the top right options and Select All Unused. then delete any it selects, like in my example:

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 2.08.47 PM.png

If you DO still have duplicate swatches, and you need to print spot colours, you can first try to delete one of the duplicates and replace it with the other.  This won't work if that colour is "locked" because it's being used in an asset (that logo file). You may have to reopen some of the old graphics and change your spots accordingly to be consistent. This would be a good approach going forward regardless.

If you can't do that for any reason, and still have a duplicate you can't get rid of, you can still instruct the printer to consolidate the duplicates when they output. Most Prepress departments have the ability to map spot colours together... It comes down to communication with your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines